Strobe effect

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The engineer that invented the stroboscope came from my home town Aurora Nebraska. His name was Harold "Doc" Edgerton, a professor at MIT. He also invented high speed photography.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Just try to disprove what I said. He donated a whole wing in the Museum at Aurora all about his inventions.

Maybe you should google Edgerton explorit center

1716482027089.png

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Just try to disprove what I said. He donated a whole wing in the Museum at Aurora all about his inventions.

Maybe you should google Edgerton explorit center

just done that... Edgerton "is largely credited with transforming the stroboscope from an obscure laboratory instrument into a common device."

edit... cool video in the OP though. I used to get mesmerised looking at car wheels on the motorway when i was a kid... in between counting the bridges.

It was something totally different. You have to have a strobe light, and light bulbs were not invented in 1832

classic33

Leg End Member
It was something totally different. You have to have a strobe light, and light bulbs were not invented in 1832
Early Light Bulbs
In 1802, Humphry Davy invented the first electric light. He experimented with electricity and invented an electric battery. When he connected wires to his battery and a piece of carbon, the carbon glowed, producing light. His invention was known as the Electric Arc lamp. And while it produced light, it didn’t produce it for long and was much too bright for practical use.
https://www.bulbs.com/learning/history.aspx

High Speed Photography, Henry Fox Talbot, 1851.
"The experiment was conducted on 14 June 1851 and the next day Talbot wrote to his friend Michael Faraday: “The important experiment tried yesterday at the Royal Instn succeeded perfectly. A printed paper was fastened to a disk, which was then made to revolve as rapidly as possible. The battery was discharged, and on opening the Camera it was found to have received an impression. The image of the printed letters was just as sharp as if the disk had been motionless. I am not aware of this experiment having ever been made before … if a truly instantaneous photographic representation of an object has never been obtained before (as I imagine that it has not) I am glad that it should have been first accomplished at the Royal Instn .”

https://talbot.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/2016/06/17/sparks-spinning-wheels-whites-of-egg/

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru

Daylight shining through holes in a rotating disc will give you a strobe light, just as observing through such a disc also produces the same effect, like in the video at the top of the thread. Anything that interrupts the view of a moving object will appear to freeze the motion, or change it's speed/direction.

Reactions: C R
Edgerton is mainly known for high speed photos. One of his most famous photos is that of an A-bomb on a tower exploding. There is the ball of the explosion about 20 feet in diameter. Now that is a fast photo.

classic33

Leg End Member
Edgerton is mainly known for high speed photos. One of his most famous photos is that of an A-bomb on a tower exploding. There is the ball of the explosion about 20 feet in diameter. Now that is a fast photo.
Remains better known for his milk drop photo though.

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
I remember seeing a program about high speed photography, the had a camera in which the film moved continuously instead of stop-start, and a rotating prism to scan the picture in sync with it. They were using it to look down the barrel of a gun, and film the shell on it's way along it.

I made a sound triggered flash to photograph splashes when objects are dropped in liquids, but I never got round to using it much.

Top Bottom