Standalone excess car hire insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
We are going abroad again but this time we want to organise our own excess insurance ! We took a big hit in terms of a deposit on a CC to cover us in the event of insurance claim . Got it all back but don’t like tue idea of them having that hold on you ? Any companies to be recommended or avoided ?

Slick

Guru
I hire a car regularly for work, but all UK stuff so probably no use to you. I mostly use reputable companies like Europcar and the like, but for some strange reason easy jet car hire Sent me to Green Motion. It was obviously a tie in as it wasn't obvious on the form where the car was coming from until I paid the bill, and I despite flying into Stansted, I didn't pick the car up at the car hire Village, I was sent to some manky container round the back of an hotel, which just looked like a right dodgy operation. Insurance excess turned out to be in the thousands and even with them taking a 1500 quid deposit on my card, it was still a fortune.

Long story short, stick to the main stream suppliers for both car and insurance and be aware when you sort your own insurance you need to pay upfront and claim back from your own insurers. Potential nightmare

PK99

Legendary Member
We use icarinsurance.com
Never had to claim but they get good online reviews and travel journo reccomendations.

Currently have annual worldwide policy covering holidays to NZ Aus Canada and USA.

Can't remember price, but very reasonable.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Have used Greenmotion before but not for some time, and yes, they do seem to be a very dodgy outfit. I think the location at Birmingham Airport opened up 20 minutes late because the staff couldn't be bothered to turn up on time.

Car hire excess insurance seems to be the latest insurance scam (need to find insurance against insurance scams somewhere). Got the hard sell from Enterprise on the excess (you don't want to pay £2000 for a slight scratch on the wheels, do you?), despite overly enthusiastic assurances that the staff don't get a single benefit from selling it. Didn't take it up, but saw a lot of pondering in the office from those thinking about it. Such an archetypal on-the-spot hard sell with emotional blackmailing that it can't be honest. Decided to buy a timeshare instead as it seemed more reliable.

If you find a third party that will do it for a fraction of the price, please tell us.

Emanresu

Got the hard sell from Enterprise on the excess (you don't want to pay £2000 for a slight scratch on the wheels, do you?), despite overly enthusiastic assurances that the staff don't get a single benefit from selling it. Didn't take it up, but saw a lot of pondering in the office from those thinking about it. Such an archetypal on-the-spot hard sell with emotional blackmailing that it can't be honest.

I would have agreed with you except ..... Hired a car for the weekend. Never had an accident in decades but had 2 that weekend (windscreen from passing lorry which didn't stop / wing mirror from passing motorist who didn't stop). Returned car and had to pay the excess (£££) to the knowing smile of the assistant.

99% of the time you'll be safe but sometimes it doesn't work out.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Seems as though the excess on car hires has increased to the point where it is now there to encourage you to take out the additional insurance, rather than to discourage you from activities that might damage the car.

TheDoctor

Noble and true, with a heart of steel
think that.jpg

Top Bottom