Spoke reflectors?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
You only require a rear red reflector and orange pedal reflectors. The shops have to sell it with a bell, there is nothing illegal in taking it off. Front white reflectors are often sold with cheaper bikes but are not required by law, neither are spoke reflectors. There have been debates about how useful pedal reflectors and spoke reflectors are. In my opinion they aren't a big deal, the red reflectors work acceptably though.

Keith Oates

Janner
Out here I'm in a minority of about 1 for having lights on the bike but many people do have reflectors and they work very well. The spoke reflectors seem to show up very well from what I've seen. I've left them on my commuter bike but I find that the out of balance can be felt quite a bit when the speed goes up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jimboalee

User3143 said:
Spoke reflectors??!! Don't let Bonj hear that you have got them - heaven forbid.

Personally I would take them off, as long as you have a decent set of lights on your bike and you are aware. You will have no problems with traffic approaching from a side junction.

Never, never, never assume you will have "no problems" with traffic approaching from any direction.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Actually one point about spoke reflectors is do clean them from time to time. Wheels pick up a lot of muck and whatever your opinion on them they do work quite a lot better when sparkling clean.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
There used to be small circular ones, anyone remember those? They screwed in placed around the spoke, just remembered them today. And they were quite "bladed" unlike the flat ends on the raleighs..

..if anyone sees any online post the link here. ;):smile:

I do use ankle bands already. Elasticated 3m scotchlite ones from Homebase and B&Q for about £3 each. I like the ronhill snap-around ones too, but they tend to move around your ankle and irritate the hell out of me.

I think pedal reflectors do actually work. IMO they work better from a slight distance. Nearly saw a kid get hit last year on his BMX delivering his papers in the dark - he'd removed all his reflectors and the driver JUST saw him in time. :evil:

MartinC

Über Member
IMO spoke reflectors aren't very useful. I know that things that light up in headlights look impressively bright but consider the circumstances it's useful in. All these things are retro-reflective and very directional - they shine light back to the light source i.e. the headlight. If you're cycling into the path of a vehicle approaching from 90 degrees they will only visible to the driver when you're pretty much directly in it's path. If you're far enough away for it not to hit you then they weren't needed and if you're close enough it's too late for them to do any good.

Bright lights are best. Don't forget too that if it's a vehicle where the driver is a long way above the lights (e.g. lorry or coach) then reflectors don't work so well - they're reflecting light back to the headlight not the driver's eyes.

Top Bottom