[SOLD] garmin edge sram out front mount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have used it a good few more times then a couple with no problems & no removing of material. However... I am aware of the problems so when putting the unit in/out I make sure it is placed in the holder at the correct angle before twisting in.

Maybe you didn't realise or maybe you got very lucky, but some material will very likely have been removed (the spring effect of the mount is too strong and the tabs have Edges too sharp, due to the chosen material and manufacturing limits), how noticeable this is depends on the Garmin device and the colour of the mount, eg. Garmin with a white back on a black mount will be most noticeable as white powder is left behind after the 1st couple of uses, once its done, it's done, it is not a progressive thing, so once done, you won't see the powder again. I have spoken directly with K-Edge about the very issue and they told me staight up, the mount removes a little material but in the vast majority of cases not to worry as it is only a small amount. It is a very small amount, but it lies right on the weakest point thus I disagree'd with this sentiment, because whilst failure in a new device is unlikely, it is likely reduce the overall lifespan. In old well used devices (like my old one) it can cause failure (like it did with mine, K-Edge were good abut the whole thing though, to their credit). This is already a common failure mode with Garmin devices, without adding to it, IMO.

My personal opinion is that time will tell, the K-Edge mounts hadn't really taken off long enough ago to get a good idea of the long term effects.

Not trying to talk anyone out of using them, it is yours and anyone else's choice, just saying the new design looks very much like they have realised it is/could be an issue and have adopted a design akin to Garmin's own mount. It could however be a coincidence and the reason for the change is production costs in creating a CNC'd insert that could be rotated is too costly. Neither K-Edge or Garmin have realised the solution to the different alignment problem is to use a 1/8th turn rather than a 1/4 turn mount. But then that has its own limitations.

Anyway, sorry for the off topic!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Maybe you didn't realise

I do realise and I haven'y got lucky, but thanks for your concern.
As I said previous I am fully aware of the problems with the design. I have used the mount more times then I can remember now. I have white Garmins and there has been no white powder left behind or even any type of scoring. I also said previous I am careful when putting the Garmin in and taking out. Making sure it is sat properly and at the correct angle before twisting. This is where I can see there can be problems if you are not careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom