Sintered metal pads vs resin: appearance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
My experience with TRP Spyres is that they work much better with the softer resin pads than the harder sintered pads.

I'm not a fast or heavy rider, but I get through the resin pads pretty quickly; so much so that I always have a spare pair with me if they are wearing low. They only cost around £10 a pair and are a five minute job to replace.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My experience with TRP Spyres is that they work much better with the softer resin pads than the harder sintered pads.

I'm not a fast or heavy rider, but I get through the resin pads pretty quickly; so much so that I always have a spare pair with me if they are wearing low. They only cost around £10 a pair and are a five minute job to replace.

That's where you differ from the OP @roubaixtuesday 's problem is weight (a touring tandem) and the heat generated from stopping that weight.

si_c

Guru
That's where you differ from the OP @roubaixtuesday 's problem is weight (a touring tandem) and the heat generated from stopping that weight.

Yeah I'd go for sintered in those circumstances, I find Resin pads OK, but they wear horribly fast, I'm a heavier rider - around 120kg before bike or luggage are added in so have always used sintered pads. I've started using Ceramic pads though lately and I do find them better - they grab less than sintered pads do and behave far more like Resin in how they brake, but I haven't noticed any of the issues I've had with the latter such as the pads becoming glazed or brake fade.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Thanks all for the inputs, all extremely helpful.

We actually now have a friend coming out, so I'm hopeful they can source some in the UK to save the bother of traipsing round Prague. If not, I at least have some better idea on specs, and it does seem clear that we were sold a pup in Portsmouth.

Re the various points raised on whether resin is OK- the clear advice I have from the tandem shop I'd that sintered is a "must"; resin can't cope with the heat and a mid descent failure would be catastrophic. The discs do get incredibly hot; after a 1000m 1:10 descent in Montenegro the rear disc was scorched black, but still worked fine. The calipers also get very, very hot.

si_c

Guru

We actually now have a friend coming out, so I'm hopeful they can source some in the UK to save the bother of traipsing round Prague. If not, I at least have some better idea on specs, and it does seem clear that we were sold a pup in Portsmouth.

Re the various points raised on whether resin is OK- the clear advice I have from the tandem shop I'd that sintered is a "must"; resin can't cope with the heat and a mid descent failure would be catastrophic. The discs do get incredibly hot; after a 1000m 1:10 descent in Montenegro the rear disc was scorched black, but still worked fine. The calipers also get very, very hot.

Yeah for long descents I'd also say sintered is a must, you're using mechanical discs so your biggest concern is likely to be pad fade and when the rotors and pads get really hot then you'll glaze the pads and the brakes won't recover. Sintered pads actually start to work better as they get hotter and keep working at much higher temperatures.

I've had hydraulics fail with resin pads (1500m descent on an MTB, calipers got so hot that even dumping 2 full water bottles on the front made no difference. Definitely not worth it.

If you've got a friend coming over it would seem that they are the best bet to get something - but do you know anyone who can ship some out to you by fast post?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

My only Tandem experience was in my teens, a mate's dad had a couple of tandems and we used to take them out. I can remember very alarming burning smells coming from the drum brakes on a visit to (I think) the Clee Hills. My mate was pilot was a lot more of a daredevil than I was and I used to find the whole business a bit on the scary side.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Sorted, thank you @CR and your colleague in Prague.

1000007585.jpg

C R

Guru
Sorted, thank you @CR and your colleague in Prague.

View attachment 739465

Glad I could help.

Top Bottom