Shuv's 2-wheeled antics *SLOG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Man cave / Cycling Museum is starting to get a little full. I’m actually now partly in the shed with bikes too. Much to the Wife’s (Why a capital letter ??) utter disgust…..

Took the front wheel off the Trek FX3 Hybrid and in to the shop this afternoon; after hitting a large enough pot-hole on the first ride on this bike Sunday 🤦‍♂️ Rim survived surprisingly well - coming out with the merest of wobbles. But the young lad at the LBS is a master at truing - and for a few £££ I wanted to keep it tip-top…..

While waiting the couple of minutes literally - I asked him to tell me about ‘lube’. Devil of a salesman he was; he managed to get me hook line and sinker for one type (Dry wax) for the Hybrid (Only used in the dry). And another Tungsten based lube (Ceramic is sooooo yesterday 🤣) for the MTB which will be used primarily in the wet.

Arriving home and Googling: both get 3.75-4 out of 5 on the reviews I can find. Look above average for sure 👍

*£18 for 200ml total. I hope the instructions don’t include the term “Apply Liberally” for either 😳

Oh - and I’ve managed to snap the clamp on the left hand brake lever on the MTB before I’ve even used the bike. I know some of these things say 6nm of Torque and other such low figures. I’d already adjusted the r/h lever (And both the very same levers on the Hybrid) - and this wasn’t even close to the tightness of the r/h lever 🤷‍♂️ Either way it snapped. So I’ve purchased another lever; and I’m popping in to same LBS Saturday Morning to get it swapped over. Having no bicycle bleed tools, no mineral oil etc - it’s easier and as cheaper to get them to do it this time…..

Safe Cycling 🚴🏻‍♂️

IMG_4934.jpeg

IMG_4935.jpeg

IMG_4937.jpeg

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Took the new MTB in the work van to LBS to have a couple of tweeks done I didn’t have the tools for. Walked back to the shop and duly had the very first - albeit short (3 mile) ride home 😍

IMG_4975.jpeg

IMG_4976.jpeg

**Hoping to get it covered in mud (Dust ?) this Sunday…..

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Looks like I’m becoming a year round cyclist…..😳

Far from the best gear money can buy. But top and trousers are lightweight / pack able and breathable items. Should keep the worst of the weather out for the intended couple of hours riding (Max) on the MTB come Winter:

Attachments

• IMG_4979.jpeg
    IMG_4979.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4981.jpeg
    IMG_4981.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4980.jpeg
    IMG_4980.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4982.jpeg
    IMG_4982.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Rear hub / cone bearings don’t sound or feel ‘perfect’ on the Marlin 7. Having ridden a full 3 miles from new 🤦‍♂️ If anything like the rest of this bike I suspect it was built fast. And with zero lubrication….🙄

Strip, clean, lube and adjust coming up……

Attachments

• IMG_5010.jpeg
    IMG_5010.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Decided to look at the front brake on the Marlin7 too. It just didn’t feel quite right. Maybe a tiny bit spongy (?). Centred both calipers (Just because…), ran new Shimano brake fluid through, adjusted the lever reach / bite point - and will now leave with elastic bands on for a couple of days to make sure there’s no air bubbles in the line.
This is an old ‘trick’ from my motorcycle days. Works on all Hydraulic brake systems though. And can really firm up a lever feeling in 48 hours or less and ensure you’ve no air in the system……

View: https://youtu.be/MQtT3XpB_B0?si=g6Lsg_EH-0_dmWTS

IMG_5014.jpeg

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I’d like to think I really noticed the difference after stripping, cleaning, lubricating and setting up bearings of the Trek MTB. If only in my fairly anal head.

So I’ll be doing the Trek Hybrid tonight. I know I’m extremely particular; but it’s wrong isn’t it. Both rears especially are tight, slightly graunchy and I’d suspect again - completely devoid of grease from Brand New.

I emailed the supplying dealer Friday asking if I needed to deal with them as supplying dealer. Or Trek themselves ref my concerns over this issue. And rectification of course ! Which in no way should fall upon my shoes. No reply of yet…….🙄

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Trek Hybrid FX Hybrid wheels also duly stripped, cleaned, lubed, bearings adjusted and re-fitted:

b0cbc64a-aab6-4e67-b8f2-94e4ec2e9f10.jpeg

While the design and Trek components on this bike may be great: the attention to detail / build quality / PDI from them or supplying dealer is nothing less than horrific. **Ok - I’m an Engineer and more particular than most….

But - what chance of longevity do components stand: when nothing but nothing had a single drop of oil / grease / lube etc on. Coupled with being overnight in the case of the cone bearings on all 4 wheels. It’s brain dead and nothing less.

Still. At least now the wheels do go round 🙄 I’m guessing I’ll gain some speed. Or as we’re all basically lazy arses……save some energy to do the same speed 🤣

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Needed (Ref wanted some nicer…..) slimline headed M4 Bolts for my lock-on grips. With a much smaller cap-head diameter than standard: or is readily available.

Luckily found some in Titanium. And price wasn’t too bad only being 8 x small bolts i “need” (M4 x 13.5mm). I can see these being addictive though……

Attachments

• IMG_5105.jpeg
    IMG_5105.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
First Gravel type ride today. Man / what a crack that was !

Sunrise in some random fields in the middle of Suffolk:

IMG_5112.jpeg

Church I’ve not ‘found’ before;

IMG_5119.jpeg

Hacking down various tracks and hanging onto my riding buddies shirttails;

IMG_5115.jpeg

Took the beater as I didn’t know what to expect. In terms of crashes mainly 🤣

And came back to 4 broken nipples (I’d heard the noises).

IMG_5127.jpeg

Is it ‘normal’ for nipples to go as opposed to spokes ? No big deal to get fixed either way - just interested.(*Wheels are 10+ years old. And I do seem to be working through replacing the nipples. Maybe I’ll just get the lot done this time….)

Last edited:

Windle

Über Member
First Gravel type ride today. Man / what a crack that was !

Sunrise in some random fields in the middle of Suffolk:

View attachment 742588

Church I’ve not ‘found’ before;

View attachment 742589

Hacking down various tracks and hanging onto my riding buddies shirttails;

View attachment 742590

Took the beater as I didn’t know what to expect. In terms of crashes mainly 🤣

And came back to 4 broken nipples (I’d heard the noises).

View attachment 742591

Is it ‘normal’ for nipples to go as opposed to spokes ? No big deal to get fixed either way - just interested.(*Wheels are 10+ years old. And I do seem to be working through replacing the nipples. Maybe I’ll just get the lot done this time….)

That's not something I've seen before, the spokes usually go at the hub end from memory, although it's a long time since I've had any spoke failures ~ I've jinxed myself now haven't I?
Possibly a difference in manufacturing quality between spoke & nipple materials, with the spokes being stronger.

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
That's not something I've seen before, the spokes usually go at the hub end from memory, although it's a long time since I've had any spoke failures ~ I've jinxed myself now haven't I?
Possibly a difference in manufacturing quality between spoke & nipple materials, with the spokes being stronger.

Ha ! Let’s hope not for you 🙏

Ha ! Again. Only I could manage multiple failures - no-one’s seen one of before 🤣

As I say - I’ve replaced a fair few nipples already. So may aswell just keep going with this wheel. Once the wheel and tyre is off - it’s a few minutes work in my LBS. (Last two plus truing cost me a whole £5) 😎

Windle

Über Member
Ha ! Let’s hope not for you 🙏

Ha ! Again. Only I could manage multiple failures - no-one’s seen one of before 🤣

As I say - I’ve replaced a fair few nipples already. So may aswell just keep going with this wheel. Once the wheel and tyre is off - it’s a few minutes work in my LBS. (Last two plus truing cost me a whole £5) 😎

You could try truing them yourself, but in my experience it's probably best left to the LBS ~ wheel truing is a work of sorcery :laugh:.
Not long after I first started cycling seriously and gained a liking for home bike mechanicing I tried truing wheels, with amazing results! I got the wheel arrow straight with a bit of time & patience, so I spun it faster and faster, marvelling at how straight the rim was....... but er, hang on, what's that rocking motion? Sh@#t! Bio pace wheels! I didn't know at the time you needed to slacken the opposing spoke to the one you were tightening when pulling the rim over to keep the wheel round 🤡.

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
You could try truing them yourself, but in my experience it's probably best left to the LBS ~ wheel truing is a work of sorcery :laugh:.
Not long after I first started cycling seriously and gained a liking for home bike mechanicing I tried truing wheels, with amazing results! I got the wheel arrow straight with a bit of time & patience, so I spun it faster and faster, marvelling at how straight the rim was....... but er, hang on, what's that rocking motion? Sh@#t! Bio pace wheels! I didn't know at the time you needed to slacken the opposing spoke to the one you were tightening when pulling the rim over to keep the wheel round 🤡.

LMAO !!

Oh I’m well aware it’s more of an art than a science. It’s why I’ve left well alone. 2 nipples fitted and truing while I browsed for a few minutes. And all for a measly £5 - gave me no reason to even consider having a go myself 🤣

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
‘Incredible’ how soon you start amassing clothing / paraphernalia once you become a p̶r̶o̶p̶e̶r̶ keen cyclist isn’t it 🙂

Since the start of the year I seem to have amassed 75 litres worth when stored decently.

Today I’ve bought another storage tub and collated all the riding gear into:

1. MTB / Winter stuff: waterproofs, hats, off-road shoes, long fingered thermal type gloves etc

2. Tights and long sleeved road gear. For dry (ish), bright but cooler rides…..

3. Short sleeved jerseys, shorts, summer socks and footwear, fingerless gloves blah blah

…..and I seem to have a top combination coming I didn’t even know I needed 🤷‍♂️ And some quickly removable arm warmers: recommended by my riding buddy; for days when it’s starts cool and you then need to de-clothe.

You’d think jumping on the saddle and pedalling for an hour or two would be pretty straightforward 🙄

IMG_5159.jpeg

Top Bottom