Should I buy this ebike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Attis07

Batteries can be recelled - the place that did mine a while ago is no longer running so I can't recommend anywhere but they do exist

However - that battery looks like one that should be on a rear rack and the connectors look vulnerable to water as they point upwards
might be OK to start but things happen and if water gets in then it is screwed

only my opinion - which may well be worthless

In any case - I would also be wondering about it having a battery that is no longer available and the bike has never been ridden - how old is the battery and has it been stored properly??

sorry - too many red flags for me

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/which-ebike-should-i-buy.299823/

Which one would be the best choice in your opinion?

OP
OP
A

Attis07

No way would I pay anywhere near £700 for that bike. I would look to buy a similar bike (if that is the type you want) on its own and then buy a kit to fit to it yourself with a fresh battery like a Yose power kit. The battery may well be end of life which is why the seller is selling it. He wants to get the maximum value from it before the battery completely fails. I've seen secondhand recent voodoo bikes go sub £200. The bike may have been used extensively for commuting for the last few years.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/which-ebike-should-i-buy.299823/

Which one would be the best choice in your opinion?

Looking at the ones mentioned above - I would not be happy with the ones with the very small battery and range quoted as 20 miles
not really very much it you hit a head wind and a hill
and if you have to charge it every day thaen that is not the best way to give them a long life

so the Carrera might be better

Just a thought, at work we would never sell a used Ebike; the risk of the battery either not working or catching fire is too high for us to take the risk.

We also don't touch any ebikes for repair, except Bosch or Shimano, and this is normal for local bike shops in this very bike friendly region. You may want to check with your local LBS that they will do repairs on these brands before you buy, unless you are confident repairing yourself.

Gwylan

Veteran
Based on ebike experience: NO

Never ridden? Bit odd.

Pucker up and buy something from a real shop. Yes it will cost more. Avoid the rear, or front, wheel drive versions. Just so much more to go wrong. Also about the weight distribution.

Buy where you can take it back, pay with a credit card, threaten to involve Trading Standards and so on.
There seems, still, to be a lot of stock stuck in showrooms.

CXRAndy

Guru

The TSDZ2 is torque sensing drive, offers a far similar feeling to normal pedalling. You can (if inclined) upgrade the the firmware to allow more features, adjustable settings. You can either do this yourself or buy a motor kit from the USA already done. Endless sphere is the forum where you will find information regarding software upgrades.

The Bafang BBS units are speed sensing, so less real pedal sensation. All you need to do is turn the pedals and a certain power is applied to assist you. The Bafang are known to be built stronger, but either units can fail if abused.

My wife's TSD is over 4 years old now and still working very well. We don't ride in pouring rain and have full mudguards to protect the battery and drive unit.

A bit of research will help you tremendously in deciding. I went into converting a bike to ebike in the knowledge it wasn't alot of money (to me) if it didn't work. Thankfully everything was straight forward and easy to install if you're practically minded

I can provide links to websites if you're interested

Last edited:
Top Bottom