Shimano STI cable issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jessand

Veteran
Hi All

I have Tiagra 4700 STI's which suffer from the well known issue of cable breaking inside the levers. Does this problem extend to all Shimano under bar tape sti's or are Tiagra's worse. I struggle to get 12 months on the rear shifter (about 4000 miles). I'm using recommended optislick cables.

I'm considering moving to 105 if they don't have this issue. I'd value your feedback/experience on this. Thanks

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
For what it's worth, I've never had this problem with 105 or Ultegra levers.
I would say however that the cables are the problem not the Tiagra levers.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Interesting question, I had to pick the pieces of cable out when it happened to the OH's 4700 RHS shifter, which I managed successfully.

I have Ultegra 6800 and haven't had a shifter cable go.

OP
OP
J

jessand

Veteran
Ian, I'm using Shimano cables - the ones they supply with the shifters. Made for road sti's to ensure smooth shifting (and cost a fortune!)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Hi All

I have Tiagra 4700 STI's which suffer from the well known issue of cable breaking inside the levers. Does this problem extend to all Shimano under bar tape sti's or are Tiagra's worse. I struggle to get 12 months on the rear shifter (about 4000 miles). I'm using recommended optislick cables.

I'm considering moving to 105 if they don't have this issue. I'd value your feedback/experience on this. Thanks

A friend had it happen in 105 shifters last month.

OP
OP
J

jessand

Veteran
Thanks anyway Ian.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I have R7020 (hydro) 105 on the CdF that's lasted for about 4300 miles with no obvious issues; although I've not checked the cables - presumably you'd expect to see fraying / partial breakage before they failed completely..?

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I swap out the coated cables at install as IME any friction coating flakes off at the tight turn spots and actually give worse shifts, not better. Plain stainless steel genuine Shimano cables give the best long term service and give 2-3 yrs even on the commuter.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have R7020 (hydro) 105 on the CdF that's lasted for about 4300 miles with no obvious issues; although I've not checked the cables - presumably you're expect to see fraying / partial breakage before they failed completely..?

Failure is usually a rapid affair from fine to failed in a couple of hundred miles or less. Whenever I have managed to find a cable in a frayed state prior to breakage it has manifested as poor shifting on the previous couple of rides. You would be lucky to find a frayed cable during routine inspections.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Failure is usually a rapid affair from fine to failed in a couple of hundred miles or less. Whenever I have managed to find a cable in a frayed state prior to breakage it has manifested as poor shifting on the previous couple of rides. You would be lucky to find a frayed cable during routine inspections.

^^ This. On the OH's it just stopped down shifting. It turns out the down shifting was a bit sticky on a few previous turbo sessions, but she hadn't mentioned it at the time, onlywhen it stopped working completely!

wonderloaf

Veteran
Had this happen a few times on my Ultegra R8000 RD, so now frequently inspect and change every year ( circa 4000 miles) needed or not. Strangely the best cables I've found are the stainless steel ones by Clarks from Halfords, theyre a bit thinner than Shimano and seem to shift better and last longer.

Top Bottom