Seriously now, how many bikes do I actually need!!??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Plenty of used stuff about!👍

I use 10 speed on summer bikes and 9spd on winter and touring bikes that way wheels etc are interchangeable.

i have one 8 speed commuter and two 10 speed , one 11 speed when i was gifted the bits .Like you say plenty of options but if you want new the cues is going to make things a bit more of a search .

OP
OP
S

scotsbikester

One. Tour de fer belt and braces tourer. On road, off road, trailer, no trailer, loaded with panniers or not. Simple. Never going to enter a road race so not relevant.

Thanks. Can I ask what frame size yours is, and what height you are?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Just shy of 6ft, L size frame. This is it.

20230605_142941.jpg

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Of course soon everything below 11 speed you own will be old tech shimano wise with Cues already on mtb and coming to road next year .
Great from the bike shop/ manufacturer point of view but not so good for anyone running them as cues is not backwards compatible and disc only .

Shimano as usual being deliberately bloody awkward.
I bought This cassette before I knew about the changes. There's an extra spacer at the back of the cassttee which pushes it off the end of the freehub and into the frame on my bike. I had to take the entire cassette to bits to make it fit. Pita.

Jameshow

Veteran
Shimano as usual being deliberately bloody awkward.
I bought This cassette before I knew about the changes. There's an extra spacer at the back of the cassttee which pushes it off the end of the freehub and into the frame on my bike. I had to take the entire cassette to bits to make it fit. Pita.

Probably have to go to aftermarket cassettes for old Shimano 8-10 SPD standards.

Punkawallah

Über Member
I’ve got The Bike, an ‘83 Dawes Galaxy for ‘out and about’, and the ’Rat Bike’ for work or tootling around- a ‘70s Dawes frame with bits from the Pit of Despair to make it work. Technically that’s one more than I’ve got backsides, so too many.
Funnily enough, I never find a problem with compatibility - if it goes between the drop outs, the Suntour VX will shift it :-)

presta

Guru
I had 9 spd dura ace down tube shifters with a deore rear mech on my old tourer. Worked perfectly.

As new, my Horizon came with 8 speed gears using an Acera rear derailleur and 8 speed bar end shifters. When the RD failed I replaced it with the Deore RD without changing anything else, it's compatible with either 8 or 9 speed because the cable pull ratio is the same. It was about a year later before I changed the whole shooting match to 9 speed after the gear lever broke and the BB was worn out.

Top Bottom