Scared of bike shops!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

RubySoho

Regular
I'm crap at fixing things and not in the slightest bit embarrassed about it.

I'll do punctures and tyre changes but anything else goes to the bike shop so guys that actually know what they are doing can fix it properly.
Terrible, this is what I hate about some of the pratts who work in bike shops. If everybody knew how to fix bikes, they would be down the job centre, or sitting watching Jeremy Kyle! By all means, if you want to learn about bike maintenance, do so. But if you go into a bike shop, and encounter 'snooty shop types' I'd suggest putting them in their place, or tell their manager that you find them unhelpful/ intimidating!

And it's not just you. I was chatting to my LBS owner about it, and it's a perennial problem in the industry. Many people who work in the LBS want to do so because they're bike nerds. What they need to be, is good at their job, which is helping people get the bike they want, or get their bike fixed, and doing so politely and helpfully, recognising that it's your custom which pays their wages!

Rant over!
Brilliant, it's so frightfully British to apologise for things that aren't our fault and I'm not even British! Was always tempted to go in one day with a saddle of venison or a whole halibut for him to debone so I could laugh at him for not being able to do my job that I'm paid to do as well as me!(I'm a chef):-)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi Ruby and :welcome:
I used not exactly to be scared of bike shops, but was annoyed that I did not know what they were talking about.
A beginners course in bike mechanics, reading the mechanics forum on here, some practice (and some disasters too!), You Tube, all helped a lot, now the bike shops are scared of me! :laugh:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Although i've never taken a bike to a bike shop for repair, I don't think it's unreasonable to have to pay for someone's time and skill. Even a bit of oiling and adjusting gears and brakes is going to be an hour surely - add in a few consumables and it's going to be £50 say. If the bike was a cheap one, but still a "real" bike for maybe £250, then the naive punter unfairly think it a bit steep - add in a chain, cogs tyre and brake pads - you're up to £100 or more which is actually fair enough if you thin about it.

On the other hand my ex-mrs always took her bike in to the shop and was very gruging about letting me do it - even when I pointed out the wrong-way-round brakes shoes - so not all shops are comptetant. I've also heard enough stories of teeth sucking and claiming absurd rebuilds for low usage machines which don't sound above board.

And on the patronising approach, which I have suffered as a youngster, perhaps the guilty should remember that the mechanical experts are unlikely to be having work done, so it would pay to be patient and diplomatic with the non-expert - unless the customer is being plain silly of course, like the clearly stupid Cheltenham lady who complained in the local paper that the bike shop wouldn't "do a temporary repair" to a puncture but instead wanted to charge her a whole fiver for replacing the inner tube.

Kajjal

Guru
Most bike maintenance is easy enough if you do some research and take your time to do the job properly. Also ask for advice on here.

Some jobs are best left to a bike shop if you are not confident such as fitting a new bottom bracket. Just make sure to agree a price and time upfront.

In every bike shop there are normally arrogant staff but also some very good people. Just be clear, friendly and calm but don't take any nonsense. The management in one of my local bike shops should be on medication but the boys in the workshop consistently do a good job.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I treat the LBS as the Kwik Fit of the car world, if you have no idea then be prepared. Go in with puncture, come out with big bill for parts that were not needed
Lol! Go to Katy, the bike mechanic at Free Wheel North in the Green, she will insist that a reconditioned derailleur will do, when you really, really want a new one!

D

Deleted member 35268

I have learn very slowly, by trial and error, to fix everything on my bike.
The errors...
1. Badly installed rear wheel bearings, bearings came loose on a ride, managed to limp home with horrendous scratching and screeching noises.
2. Badly adjusted rear derailleur, managed to get it mangled into my back wheel going up a hill (steel frame, so no major damage).

Goofball

The LBS here was great, I got on great with the guy who run it and he even knocked money off for me.
It was a one man show and only one in town and he retired this year.... :cry:

So I'm doing any fixing myself.

Checking online for how to do stuff, which is mostly youtube as seeing how to do it is better.
Building up a collection of tools too.

Effyb4

Veteran
I love my lbs. He always gives us a discount, as we are regular customers and he gets things done, as quickly as he can. He knows that bikes are our main form of transport.

Top Bottom