Sales person's knowledge, or not.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
After eleven years & 61,000 miles in our Hyundai I.30, we've decided to change to a newer car.
Did the rounds with various agents and private dealers, telling each one that our I.30 ticked all the boxes for what were looking for thus giving them all a standard to work to.
Only at the Hyundai dealer did I learn that low mileage used I.30s are hard to come by, but the Kia Ceed range is pretty much an I.30 just wearing a different suit as it were. Thus we will be taking delivery of a two year old Ceed with low mileage next week. :okay:
When we went for our test drive, the GLW who had no particular interest in cars observed that the controls are all pretty much in the same place. And she had a wail of a time with the centre touch screen console - ! ^_^
Point made I think, although there's a heck of a lot more techno 'goodies' built in as standard that I'll have to get my head round and the manual is three times as thick as our present I.30 - ! :eek:
What is interesting and is the essence of this post is that I'd also been to our local branch of Big Motoring World and despite the lad who saw me asking a colleague of his about an alternative to an I.30 when he was stumped and they having over twenty Ceeds on their books, neither thought to suggest one as an alternative.
But the two year old ones they do have available all have at least twice the mileage more than the one we're getting.
Sometimes, it's better to stick with the official dealer. :smile:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
centre touch screen console

Yikes. Driver distraction!!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Kia are lovely cars. I had a Picanto for about 15 years and it did not go wrong at all. I then got another Picanto 3 years ago. The difference between the 2 cars is huge. But still no bother at all. Both 2nd hand cars.

teeonethousand

I think most 'salesmen' are just that, not just in the motor trade but in most retail situations. The days of enthusiasts knowing what they're on about has long gone

This IMHO. They seem to be order takers.. providing they have not put you off in the process and once order is taken they drop out.

icowden

Veteran
Altnough they're considered such a distraction that from 2025 they'll lose points on Euro NCAP if essential functions are on thentouch screen instead of regular manual controls.
It's not exactly a tricky list though:
Under the new rating scheme, which is due to come into force from January 2026, manufacturers won’t be able to achieve the highest safety ratings if they don’t provide proper, physical switches for certain functions including indicators, hazard lights, sounding the horn, operating windscreen wipers and activating the eCall SOS function.

So that's pretty much all EVs compliant.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This IMHO. They seem to be order takers.. providing they have not put you off in the process and once order is taken they drop out.

Aye and then after they've taken your money they say "That'll be an 8 week wait for delivery Sir", hang on you fecker, it's in the 'Sale' so why isn't it in stock, that's the whole concept of a 'Sale' knock a bit off to shift summat that has been gathering dust not something that hasn't even been made yet. :cursing:

icowden

Veteran
Interesting that the new Kia EV3 is due out soon but will still be £10k more expensive than the Ceed. That gap really needs to be narrowed.

Alex321

Guru
Altnough they're considered such a distraction that from 2025 they'll lose points on Euro NCAP if essential functions are on thentouch screen instead of regular manual controls.

The world's foremost research and standards body on automotive safety seems to think there's a safety issue there.

Only if essential functions have to be accessed that way - and I would agree there, all essential functions should be accessible without needing to actually look at the controls.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
I think most 'salesmen' are just that, not just in the motor trade but in most retail situations. The days of enthusiasts knowing what they're on about has long gone
This is very noticeable with independent retailers across the board in my experience. The small 'one shop only' types have to know all about what they're selling, that's why customers use them, as they want to know about what they're buying. :okay:

Top Bottom