Saddles for leisure, not racing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Squire
How many Brookes saddles in the TDF? Personally I tried one for a lot more then the 300 to 400 convinced it was going to break in, instead it nearly broke my will to live.
 

david k

Hi
Location
North West
Thanks. I'd prefer not to go in detail on a public forum, but it's a SHE (safety, health, environment) role for a large organisation. I'm as prepared as I'm going to be now, so fingers crossed!

i understand, good luck with that, i presume you are in that type of job/role now
 

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I use one of these gel saddles, which ive been very very happy with: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bioflex-ozone-saddle/ I like the gel not for avoid a sore bum as such, but my recurring lower back pain has a tendency to flare up from vibration/impact riding an aluminum frame on rough leisure paths/trails. Im not a big distance rider, rarely riding over 30 miles in one go but the saddle has been great for me for that kind of distance.

I could be wrong, but from my experience the less fit you are and the slower you're going, the more you perch your weight on the saddle - if you're pushing hard on the pedals the whole time it keeps a lot of the weight load off your bum/saddle. When/if i end up buying a road bike, id definitely follow the advice on here which im sure is excellent and look for a brooks or similar though, but for now im a gel loving newbie. :P
 

screenman

Squire
Now here is something I gave thought to in those dark days of Brookes ownership, if I molded the saddle saddle too fit my bottom when on the tops of the bars what happens when I use the drops and rotate the bum a bit.

As for on the rivet well that was not comfortable at all.
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
God they are heavy - that SMP is 828g - I'm very happy with 200g minimalist saddles - the cushoning on those 'chushtie saddles' starts to press in the wrong places, leading to a very uncomfy undercarriage.
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
The old Rolls are very good, and the Regal (they even have a fancy modern version).
 

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Location
Somewhere flat
I have one of those San Marco Rolls but couldn't get on with it. Swapped out for a 3 year old Spoon, a couple of weeks ago - the Rolls is now surplus :smile:

Like I said upthread, saddles are very personal items.
 

Camrider

Guru
Location
Cambridge
I've got a hardly used San Marco Rolls gathering dust in my shed, I could not get on with it either. Some people love them which goes to show that the ideal saddle is a bit of a personal thing as our bums are all different, but I doubt anyone has a bum suitable for sitting on one of those big fat gel things for any length of time.

A couple of years ago we hired a couple of bikes in Vancouver for a ride around Stanley Park, and every bike was fitted with these horrible things. Within 20 minutes I had had enough of sitting the damn thing.
 

seashaker

Veteran
Location
Swindon
After reading this and doing a bit more googling I changed my 'comfy body fit' saddle back to the factory default Boardman one and won't be changing back. Yes to start with it felt a little weird but almost instantly
I felt far more comfortable riding. I wasn't moving around so much whilst pedaling and bum felt better when I finished.

I know as pretty much everyone has stated everyone is different but after this I won't be going back to a specific padded design unless it is needed for health reasons or something.

Thanks for the advice guys!
 
OP
OP
A

atrick

Veteran
It's my birthday! So to all you Brook's bigots I thought I ought to cheese you off and tell you how fantastic my super soft gel double sprung gigantic seat is - It's fantastic :tongue:

I dare say all you who criticze have never actually sat on one.
 

Camrider

Guru
Location
Cambridge
Au contraire, most of us have sat on one which is why we hate the things. Just go out and do a nice 50 mile ride then tell us how comfortable it is :unsure:

P.S. Happy Birthday :birthday:
 

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Moderator
Location
Glasgow
It's my birthday! So to all you Brook's bigots I thought I ought to cheese you off and tell you how fantastic my super soft gel double sprung gigantic seat is - It's fantastic :tongue:

I dare say all you who criticze have never actually sat on one.

Happy birthday from another "jelly" :birthday: (I sit on any seat that goes: bike, bus, taxi, train, computer chair ^_^)
 
Top Bottom