Route advice , Ireland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
Early days , but planning a 2025 trip.
Few days in Ireland.
Looking for some local advice.
Best way out of Belfast heading west towards Leitrim, family roots journey.

Train + ferry to Belfast. Then hopefully the same day take a 40 or 50 mile chunk out the journey.
Day 2, head for Manorhamilton.

Any advice on route, places to avoid , roads or paths to use or definitely not to use.

Thanks

I went through ManorHamilton on my recent tour. Absolutely lovely roads from Sligo up to Beleek. https://www.strava.com/activities/12351772195

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The Ordnance Survey mapping is always you friend.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I thought that they don't cover Ireland?

I have what is supposed to the full digital OS map for Britain but it doesn't cover N.I., and obviously not the Republic of Ireland either.

There was an OS survey of the whole of Ireland at one time. I think those maps are still available but TBH I haven't checked recently. I did have OS maps of the south many years ago (published well after independence :tongue: :laugh:)

Chislenko

Veteran
Na not Greggs - sure you can get them anywhere.

If you've time, cycle in round behind the Odyssey/SSE Arena which is very close to the Titanic Centre - it's all good flat cycle routes around there and go to the Dock Cafe, Belfast's (maybe irelands?) only 'honesty' cafe where you pay what you want. Alot of interesting artifacts, artwork etc in there and the best scones & haystack buns in the land :tongue:

Have been in that cafe when we did the Titanic Museum, must admit it was a new concept for me when the chap said "pay what you feel like"

Mind you it is a good ploy as you invariably pay more than you should! An interesting place.

Top Bottom