"Road Tax"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
So to the cry of "you don't pay road tax", the correct and polite response is "neither do you, you pay VED".
Something to get the numpties thinking, as you ride off through the traffic holdup they are stuck in!

No point I'm sorry oldroadman, as has been pointed out above, the argument is futile.
The correct reply to "you don't pay road tax", " get off the road", "use the cyclepath", "you clanger" (think that's what he said) etc, etc, is ;
"Half past five mate." With a cheery wave :hello:

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Oh dear, didn't want a big debate, but:
A car sat on the driveway doing 0 miles is cleaner than a low emission vehicle crawling along the North Circular at 8am.
"Cleaner car" means producing lower emissions under the same conditions, including distance.

A huge amount of energy is required to convert raw/recycled materials into a brand new car, encouraging people to buy new cars is only benefitting the retailers and exchequer in VAT and registration fees.
Who said anything about buying new? Anyway, the point is about buying a cleaner car in preference to buying a less clean one.

Li-ion batteries are also quite toxic and may need replacing every 5 years or so.
Who said anything about buying batteries? My car has a 105bhp diesel engine (with DPF), and I pay £30 per annum GVED.

If you're going to tax CO2 then tax dairy farmers, cows produce a huge amount of CO2 and milk is cheaper than petrol.
No they don't, they produce a huge amount of methane, but what's that got to do with Vehicle Excise Duty?

400bhp

Guru
No point I'm sorry oldroadman, as has been pointed out above, the argument is futile.
The correct reply to "you don't pay road tax", " get off the road", "use the cyclepath", "you clanger" (think that's what he said) etc, etc, is ;
"Half past five mate." With a cheery wave :hello:

I prefer fcuk off you twunt.:whistle:

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Sorry, cows do produce methane which happens to be 20x more effective as a greenhouse gas than CO2

Deisel no good for me as I only do 6k miles a year, the higher cost of fuel, servicing and DPF clogging issues aren't worth the saving that I'd make on VED.

I doubt that the £2000 my current car is worth would buy anything that would provide a massive VED saving anyway.

I often see the hybrid Prius and Lexus RX models screaming up the M1 at 90 mph using only their petrol powerplants hauling 50kg worth of unused Li-ion batteries. These models are exempt from VED and London Charging

A Prius used more fuel than a V10 BMW M5 on a Top Gear motorway speed type test.

I think the civil servants that draft the laws are living on another planet.

May buy a 1971 Ford Cortina 2.0 GXL - VED exempt and owes no debt to the CO2 phobics

col

Legendary Member
Almost. A Volvo v70. Its the engine size that does it. 5 cylinder 2.5 Litre petrol turbo. But its a luxury in life I enjoy and I work hard enough so why not.
Blimey a bus is 300 a year.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
... Scrap the VED system and put the money on petrol, would suit me fine.
I'm probably missing something obvious, but sticking the VED on fuel has always struck me as a good idea.

The more miles you drive, the more you pay. The less efficient your engine is, the more you pay. Isn't this what is meant by a "progressive" tax?

No need to classify vehicles as this or that and no need for the bureaucracy associated with issuing the discs.

But the greatest benefit must surely be, that by putting it on the pump price,it is unavoidable: no more "tax" dodgers!

It is also feasible to include the cost of compulsory Third Party liability insurance too (underwritten by a state insurance company, such as the Motor Insurers' Bureau) which would solve the problem of uninsured drivers too.

But like I said I'm probably missing something obvious...

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
However, it is not helpful for a cyclist to continue to refer to VED as 'road tax'. Let's set a good example and use the correct terminology.
In my pocket, I have a few bob which is unusual because I only have Thai Baht; no £.s.d. and no £.p. 'A few bob' to me and many others means a small amount of money just as road tax means that disc displayed in the car window.
'A few bob' and 'road tax' are now part of our language so live with it. If you have time on your hands, please inform all motor manufacturers, motoring journalists and anyone else to stop quoting mpg figures - fuel has been sold in litres for a long time.

subaqua

What’s the point
I'm probably missing something obvious, but sticking the VED on fuel has always struck me as a good idea.

The more miles you drive, the more you pay. The less efficient your engine is, the more you pay. Isn't this what is meant by a "progressive" tax?

No need to classify vehicles as this or that and no need for the bureaucracy associated with issuing the discs.

But the greatest benefit must surely be, that by putting it on the pump price,it is unavoidable: no more "tax" dodgers!

It is also feasible to include the cost of compulsory Third Party liability insurance too (underwritten by a state insurance company, such as the Motor Insurers' Bureau) which would solve the problem of uninsured drivers too.

But like I said I'm probably missing something obvious...

this is a POV i have had for a long time .

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
In my pocket, I have a few bob which is unusual because I only have Thai Baht; no £.s.d. and no £.p. 'A few bob' to me and many others means a small amount of money just as road tax means that disc displayed in the car window.
'A few bob' and 'road tax' are now part of our language so live with it. If you have time on your hands, please inform all motor manufacturers, motoring journalists and anyone else to stop quoting mpg figures - fuel has been sold in litres for a long time.

- but you don't actually believe that you have a small number of Roberts in your pocket, do you? Whereas a large number of motorists and ill informed others - including some cyclists - appear to believe that VED, or vehicle tax, is used to pay specifically for roads, and therefore all road users should pay. The incorrect use of the expression 'Road Tax' serves to reinforce this belief.

Bicycle

I blat around the twisty backroads of the three Counties in a naughty, rorty, bright yellow 1961 roadster lent to me by my wife.

It is zero-rated for VED. If a cyclist gets in my way me up, I shall yell "Out of my way! I don't pay Road tax!"

I'd do so now, but it's raining and the bloody thing needs an MOT.

Top Bottom