RIP Graham Thorpe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Blimey, younger than me.

stephec

Squire
When I saw the thread title I thought it couldn't be him, only the same age as me, and from a time when I used to regularly watch cricket.

55 years old? A little older than me.

Runs off to google a local gym membership form!! Time to monitor my BP and other things. Shoot! I am getting worried now. Always do when someone who has been so fit in the past dying at close to my age. What did he die of? Not our place to ask I know but I am curious as there was no comment on that. Usually they give a cause of death in the press release with famouse people / famous ex sportspeople. Condolences to his surviving family members.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I watched him bat for Surry many times at the Oval, he was a graceful batsman in the mould of Ted Dexter from an earlier generation. A sad loss at such an early age.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What did he die of? Not our place to ask I know but I am curious as there was no comment on that.
One report said he had "fallen seriously ill" 2 years ago.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
55 years old? A little older than me.

Runs off to google a local gym membership form!! Time to monitor my BP and other things. Shoot! I am getting worried now. Always do when someone who has been so fit in the past dying at close to my age. What did he die of? Not our place to ask I know but I am curious as there was no comment on that. Usually they give a cause of death in the press release with famouse people / famous ex sportspeople. Condolences to his surviving family members.

They don't always especially if the person has taken their own life.

scragend

One report said he had "fallen seriously ill" 2 years ago.

At the time he "fell seriously ill" in 2022 no details were made public, and the implication was strongly that none were going to be.

One assumes that it was whatever he fell ill with that ultimately caused his death, but we don't know.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
He was famous for rattling off 50s but less frequently turning them into centuries. Couple of memories:

I remember picking my car up from being repaired and when driving home I pulled over and parked up and listened to the Hussain/Thorpe partnership in the dark at Karachi.

I also recall being at Lords and GT was on 47 (Don't remember the opponents). I was busting for a wee but decided to wait until he got his 50. Eventually I could stand it no longer and went to the gents, and called in at the bar on my way back. When I retook my seat he was still on 47.

Top Bottom