RIP Donald Sutherland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Love this song and video, apparently as he was unable to get a work visa at the time and helped by the fact Kate Bush personally approached him he agreed to do it for free.

This is Donald’s take on it.

“Barry Richardson, who was the hairdresser on Nic Roeg’s Don’t Look Now, asked me if I’d do a music video with Kate Bush. I told him no and we went on to other conversations,” Sutherland said.

Learning that he was staying at the Savoy Hotel in London, Kate Bush decided to intervene. “I opened it. There was no one there,” he recalled. “I heard a voice saying hello and I looked down. Standing down there was a very small Kate Bush. Barry had told her where I lived. What can you do?”

Kate Bush explained the song’s lyrics and narrative in detail, emphasising the connection to Wilhelm Reich – whose work Donald Sutherland was familiar with while filming Bernardo Bertolucci’s Novecento. “Everything about Reich echoed through me,” he explained. “He was there then and now he was here. Sitting across from me in the person of the very eloquent Kate Bush. Synchronicity. Perfect. She talked some more. I said okay and we made ‘Cloudbusting.’”

“She’s wonderful, Kate Bush. Wonderful. I love that I did it,” Sutherland continued. “I remember being in the car and the hill and them taking me, taking Reich, away and looking back through the back window of the car and seeing her, seeing Reich’s son Peter, standing there. And I remember the first morning on set seeing her coming out of her trailer smoking a joint and I cautioned her, saying she shouldn’t smoke that, it’d affect her work, and she looked at me for a second and said she hadn’t been straight for nine years and I loved her.”

presta

Guru

Yup, and Lucien:

180?cb=20180929180418.png

Profpointy

Legendary Member
He had a terrific "prescence" in every role he was in, and whilst he often did his trademark quirky odd-ball character, he could play all sorts. He was particularly good at some of the more sinister roles too

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When I was a callow youth there was a bloke nicknamed "Hawkeye" supposedly because he looked like Donald Sutherland (I couldn't see it myself). He went off with a girl I fancied, so I'm afraid I've had a bit of a down on the late Mr Sutherland ever since.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
When I was a callow youth there was a bloke nicknamed "Hawkeye" supposedly because he looked like Donald Sutherland (I couldn't see it myself). He went of with a girl I fancied, so I'm afraid I've had a bit of a down on the late Mr Sutherland ever since.
Experienced that myself. There was this girl I fancied like mad very pretty. We went out a bit but she dumped me because I didn't look like David Essex. :laugh:
Hated him ever since.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Which film was it where he played a WW2 German submariner (I think 🤔) stranded on a remote Scottish island? If I'm getting confused with someone else, please break it to me gently! :laugh:

Top Bottom