Replacing a wheelset…..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I’m looking to replace the wheels on this: my beater bike:

IMG_5238.jpeg

I’ve found these on eBay at a decent price:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14452812...ar=443808649793&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

And these are the options I would need:

IMG_5253.jpeg

***Current wheels are same 27.5”, spacing looks to be same 100mm front / 135mm rear, discs are 160mm.

Anything else I should be thinking about before buying to ensure a painless swap ?

All uphill

Still rolling along
A pair of wheels for £114 new are unlikely to be great. In what way do you think they will be better than the ones you have?

Is it because they are yellow? In which case I approve :okay:

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
A pair of wheels for £114 new are unlikely to be great. In what way do you think they will be better than the ones you have?

Is it because they are yellow? In which case I approve :okay:

They’ll be 12 years newer, with new bearings (Which current ones need in the rear) with non (Very ?) rusty spokes. Not to mention new discs and freewheel.

Any more money / better quality and I might as well put the £££ towards a new bike - as this was probably only £250-£300 new - and of course has component quality to suit…..

Jameshow

Veteran
Yup - that's the proper spirit of running a beater :smile:

So long as the cup and cone aren't pitted....! DAMHIK!

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I'm surprised you say the spokes are rusty, would have thought they'd be stainless under the black paint?

THAT'S the main issue. The spokes are mild steel and are rusty as. Some are quite thin where they cross over and touch / rub. I've had a few nipples break but it now seems maybe the threaded mild-steel ends are corroded / and hence smaller than designed; and seems a few spokes now won't stay tight (?). The bearings have not been touched to my knowledge since new (Bike is actually my sons and 12 (?) years old). Goodness knows if the cups are pitted as mentioned. If they've become 'dry' over time, got wet and sat.[Which it's bound to have done]: you'd absolutely not be shocked if they were......

Sprocket has of course done 12 years service - as have both discs. So for anything like £150 it would be good value to replace wheelset, sprocket and both brake discs.

On the other hand a brand new like-for-like replacement is £270......:rolleyes: And likewise the labour / parts to rebuild new spokes and nipples into existing hubs / rims means that buying a new wheelset(Even of a lower quality like for like replacement) is likely cheaper than buying a complete wheelset.

Mad World at time........

mustang1

Legendary Member
Unless money is really tight, I think it's better to buy a new Carrera. Idk what mechanical disk brakes are like these days (someone pipe in here) but I reckon it should be fine.

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Unless money is really tight, I think it's better to buy a new Carrera. Idk what mechanical disk brakes are like these days (someone pipe in here) but I reckon it should be fine.

Money isn't tight. But i have to bear in mind i have 12 bikes of my own. And this is supposed to be the 'cheapest' - however you determine that.

**Current one also has Shimano mechanical disc brakes. On-song they are more than adequate ;)

In my head i had every intention to keep this going over the last couple of months. But its become - and still looks like ongoing (?) - to be an absolute money pit. I kept thinking every new part is an issue solved. But the issues keep coming. As much as many parts are great and the memories / miles we've had together can't be forgotten - it looks like time for us to go our own ways...... :ohmy:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Money isn't tight. But i have to bear in mind i have 12 bikes of my own. And this is supposed to be the 'cheapest' - however you determine that.

**Current one also has Shimano mechanical disc brakes. On-song they are more than adequate ;)

In my head i had every intention to keep this going over the last couple of months. But its become - and still looks like ongoing (?) - to be an absolute money pit. I kept thinking every new part is an issue solved. But the issues keep coming. As much as many parts are great and the memories / miles we've had together can't be forgotten - it looks like time for us to go our own ways...... :ohmy:

Worth looking out for a used wheelset perhaps...?

I agree with you position; it's ridiculous how much we throw away / how little something's perceived financial value can be relative to its energy / material cost and potential utility :sad:

PaulSB

Squire
THAT'S the main issue. The spokes are mild steel and are rusty as. Some are quite thin where they cross over and touch / rub. I've had a few nipples break but it now seems maybe the threaded mild-steel ends are corroded / and hence smaller than designed; and seems a few spokes now won't stay tight (?). The bearings have not been touched to my knowledge since new (Bike is actually my sons and 12 (?) years old). Goodness knows if the cups are pitted as mentioned. If they've become 'dry' over time, got wet and sat.[Which it's bound to have done]: you'd absolutely not be shocked if they were......

Sprocket has of course done 12 years service - as have both discs. So for anything like £150 it would be good value to replace wheelset, sprocket and both brake discs.

On the other hand a brand new like-for-like replacement is £270......:rolleyes: And likewise the labour / parts to rebuild new spokes and nipples into existing hubs / rims means that buying a new wheelset(Even of a lower quality like for like replacement) is likely cheaper than buying a complete wheelset.

Mad World at time........
12 years! WOW!
I would say the bikes given you your moneysworth and to replace it for less than £300 is hardly wasteful.

Treat your son. He might enjoy looking after a new bike.

Top Bottom