Reinforced wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spotty

Hi all.
I recently bought myself a Trek Marlin 4 for commuting to work.
After a few months, it became clear that the rear hub could not cope with my weight (with a backpack and food I weigh 145 kg). Now I want to change it to something more reliable, probably even a new wheel. Can someone suggest a solution for my problem?
Wheel dimensions are 29 inches, current hub is Formula DC-3, 135x5mm QR.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Big John

Guru
Can I ask why you think it's the hub that can't cope with the weight? What's happened to indicate it's struggling?

Slick

Guru
Hi all.
After a few months, it became clear that the rear hub could not cope with my weight (with a backpack and food I weigh 145 kg). Now I want to change it to something more reliable, probably even a new wheel. Can someone suggest a solution for my problem?

For me, I got hand built wheels with mountain bike spec hope hubs and lots of spokes for both my road bikes. Works a treat as they haven't been an issue since I got them.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not quite your weight, but 120kg is still hard on wheels.

I've always used DT Swiss wheels, I've found them to be plenty tough but generally not as spendy as hand made jobs.

Last edited:

ExBrit

Über Member
Hi all.

Have you considered moving some of that weight over the front wheel with a front rack and panniers?
IMG_20240714_160037602.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all.

Well done for commuting to work.
What about increasing your exercise regime and adjusting your diet to reduce your bodyweight?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I would use a Shimano hub. Usually pretty rough especially in tiagra or deeper spec and above.

I wouldn’t recommend a rough hub.

OP
OP
Spotty

Spotty

Can I ask why you think it's the hub that can't cope with the weight? What's happened to indicate it's struggling?
the axle bends and breaks the bearings inside the hub, or so I'm told. squeaks appear and the wheel does not spin as freely as it did.

OP
OP
Spotty

Spotty

For me, I got hand built wheels with mountain bike spec hope hubs and lots of spokes for both my road bikes. Works a treat as they haven't been an issue since I got them.
Can you please tell me the place where you ordered this wheel?

Top Bottom