Recumbent Rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
There doesn't seem to be a lot of input from recumbent riders about their rides. I've been sticking mine on "Your ride today" but I wonder if a dedicated recumbent thread for that might encourage recumbentists to post. I could start it off with some of my recent rides duplicated from "your ride today" if the mods would permit it. Apart from that, what do CCers think? I don't do twitbook or any other social media so I just post things on CC.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
There doesn't seem to be a lot of input from recumbent riders about their ride
Well not from me as I haven't been out on my trike this year, and don't tell anyone :secret:

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
Although it's inspiring to read of others' epic international adventures perhaps this could go into its own thread?

I was thinking of something along the lines of "your recumbent ride today" to give a non intimidating opportunity for CCers to air their recumbent experiences, be they mundane or more demanding. It might motivate some to dust off their bike or trike and re engage with it now we actually have some sunshine to enjoy. Even a trip round the block could lead to bigger things. I feel like I'm ploughing a lonely furrow at the moment.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Although I ride a recumbent as my daily ride. I just treat it as my bike ride rather than a special category. Takes me back to my childhood when you just rode “your bike” and didn’t put them into categories.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
But here you go. This was Saturday on Gospel Pass about 400m beyond the 18% section which ends at the cattle grid.

IMG_0115.jpeg

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
That's more like it, complete with recumbent grin!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Out with my Kettwiessel this morning at 0930 from upper Tobermory to the end of the Mishnish lochs and back. Only 8 miles but I had a diversion not recorded down to the main car park.
Weather had spits of rain and light wind but this did not come to anything so continued anyway.
Traffic started quiet but got busy with small convoys which could be a nuisance when meeting oncoming traffic on this single track road.
Very cold and I had only slightly less than the full winter outfit which was not too warm.
This is a short run I do often as I am fairly limited in what is available.
Not a very interesting account perhaps but it is a start. Must look for some photos.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Nice. It weather as nice as it looks or gale force winds about?

No gale force winds when I took those pictures.
The bottom photo is Loch na Keal which is now too crowded by eagle watchers and assorted touroid.
Top photo is the Mishnish lochs which are variable so far as traffic is concerned and can get too busy. Winter is the best time for relative traffic freedom but weather can be a problem.

This would be a good motivational idea… I got stuck in a rut of thinking that any worthwhile bike/trike ride had to be over 20 miles, I injured my knee in such a way that cycling made it worse and it’s been difficult coming back to it. Kickbiking (an anti-recumbent style if that can be said!) has reset my distance prejudices as well as fixing my knee and it would be good to be able to get out on my trikes again. I’m also hoping to fit an electric assist to my Fuego: we have some really steep hills here in critical places and I have always struggled getting it up the steeper pitches. The plan when I got my VTX was to sell the Fuego, but I didn’t quite have the heart to do so. Assist might make all the difference (it weighs a tone already anyway!)

Top Bottom