Recommendations for carrying a Down's Syndrome child on bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bristolian

Bristolian

Thing is with a quality 'kiddie trailer' they have restraint straps, you don't just plonk the child in and go. Rather like a child seat in a car the restraints are too difficult to open by the child but easy for an adult.
I'd be very concerned about anything that can make sudden unpredictable movements on a bike, a big 'twitch' at the wrong moment could see them both on the ground and as for being in your sons 'eyeline' I'd assume (maybe wrongly) that when in a car the lad is strapped into a 'kiddie seat' whilst your son is driving

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound dismissive of your suggestion/comment and it sounds like we didn't spend enough time checking out the trailer option. Having spent several hours today speaking to bike shops and seat suppliers it is definitely back on my radar :thumbsup:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound dismissive of your suggestion/comment and it sounds like we didn't spend enough time checking out the trailer option. Having spent several hours today speaking to bike shops and seat suppliers it is definitely back on my radar :thumbsup:

It's easy to fit a mirror to a bike, plenty of them about, I'd go for a 'bar end' mounted one (easy to fit and less intrusive to the brakes/gearshift levers)

classic33

Leg End Member
1720189357548.png

https://www.easyliveauction.com/cat...d-household-items-for-your-perusal-t-lot-410/

THE OLD WOOL MILL
LAMELLION
Liskeard, Cornwall
PL14 4JT

With rear child seats, the child needs to be "program compliant" and not thrash around. Maybe an adult trike with a rear seat would be better.

OP
OP
Bristolian

Bristolian

Hi folks, sorry I haven't been back in here for a couple of days. After some serious soul-searching my son has decided to put the bike idea on the back burner for the time being; probably until this time next year in the hope/expectation that the boy will be that bit older and more in control of his movements by then.

We would like to thank everyone that contributed with suggestions and experiences, which had us thinking about things we hadn't originally considered ^_^ :okay:

Tom B

Guru
I know you have put the idea to bed for now but have a look at wheels for all

https://wheelsforall.org.uk/

Near me they have bikes for all levels of people with all types of difficulties and levels.

Even if they're are not near you, they'll have expertise in depth and possibly put you in touch with people who may have bikes they're trying to punt on as their person has grown or moved on

Top Bottom