Recommend me some new tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Okay, I think I could do with some new tyres for my tourer! I want that perfect balance between never getting punctures and sailing effortlessly up hills.

Any thoughts?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Tubed, I assume.

This is where everyone posts their favourite tyres and you're left none the wiser, but with a big list of tyres.

I'll start. Durano plus. Super tuff but not lumpy like Marathon.

Brandane

Legendary Member
My favourite touring tyres as fitted on my Ridgeback Panorama are tubed Continental Top Contact 700 x 32.
They give a good degree of puncture protection without too much weight penalty; seem to give a more comfortable ride than Schwalbe Marathon + (which I have on another bike), and just feel a lot less like riding through quicksand (as I find with the Schwalbes, but willing to take that as a trade off for the excellent puncture protection on my every day bike).

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
tried durano plus and found them heavy and a right pig to get off the rim, it took me maybe 10 mins took get the levers in and didnt find them any better than the zaffiro pros i normally run for commuting

I've used Marathon Plus tyres for decades now and only managed two punctures in that time, one of which was certainly my fault; they're 'puncture proof' but apparently not idiot-proof.

Recently, I've changed to the "Plus Tour" tyres because of the extra grip on things like mud and snow. I haven't used much else, so I don't have a comparison.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Okay, I think I could do with some new tyres for my tourer! I want that perfect balance between never getting punctures and sailing effortlessly up hills.

Any thoughts?

Do you need something capable of off-road?

If not what's wrong with the rubinos you've got for your road bike?

Tenkaykev

Guru
A slight topic diversion. Watching the TdF highlights on ITV4 there's a section where they dive into related aspects of the race. David Millar did a section where he compared the race and TT bikes and went through the why's and wherefores of the differences. He said that narrow high pressure tyres had long been thought to be faster, but that had not turned out to be the case in the real world, and wider, softer tyres were in fact more efficient. That got me wondering what other aspects might benefit from a revisit of the norms.

Top Bottom