Rear light recomenations?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Squire
Exposure Trace R or any of their other similar lights. Not cheap but fantastic lights and build quality is second to none.

I 100% agree with this. I have the Trace (front) and TraceR (rear) daybright lights. Beautiful build quality, 3 sensible options for run mode, good battery life depending on mode. Generally I use these, as do friends, in daylight mode. The visibility from distance is outstanding. On the few occasions I've ridden at night the front light beam has been very acceptable to me.

I think I paid £75 for the pair, which I regard as great value. The best lights I've owned.

Another plus is one can buy good, alternative mounts. Race Aware have many. I use one to mount on the offside seat stay as I have minimal seat post available for mounting.

https://www.racewaredirect.co/shop/seat-stay-fitting-bolt-on-mount-for-exposure-tracer/

Restrap have a much cheaper mount which would work on the seat stay but I chose to use it only on the offside fork.

https://restrap.com/products/light-mount

While I like the Restrap one I feel the Race Aware is much more secure and so I prefer it for the rear. I reckon I'll notice should the front light fall off.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Unless you want to improve day time conspicuity too.
Or it's foggy.

If someone can’t see human sized objects in daylight then they shouldn’t be driving.

Another +1 for the Exposure Trace R.

I have owned mine many years and no sign of battery fading. As others mention, it is great on flash mode during the day, for both roads where there are long stretches of straight road and in the dappled light on country lanes in summer.

I have also used it on night rides where 8 hours of continuous rear lighting is imperative.

Thanks, I don't mind an expensive light if it is proven good quality / reliable.

If you've got the money I'd recommend a Garmin Varia 715. I've got the previous version with just the radar (no camera) but its USB B (they've wen C on the new version) and the radar is great, it's like having a mirror but without the blindspots and more aesthetically pleasing.

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/721258#

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Magicshine Seemee 300 here. You could go for the Seemee 200v2 also. Great daytime flash mode, that autosenses the light and switches to a steady 'glow' mode. Big plus is it also has a 'downlighter' which lights the road below. The 'brake' function works well too.

The PX Dogstars have so far been very reliable for me.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
long before we are anything more than a vague image

Maybe so. But if you are little more than a vague image, then someone in a car is going to be too far away to hit you are they not?

Happy_Days

Attracting drivers’ attention isn’t the same as whether they can see us.

While nothing is foolproof, an irregular flashing pattern can help attract attention.

Happy_Days

Who needs a light to be seen? ^_^

IMG_5291.jpeg

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
I don't think pink suits me lol.

Thanks for all the replies, I will have a good look at all the suggestions over the weekend and get one on order.

PaulSB

Squire
Maybe so. But if you are little more than a vague image, then someone in a car is going to be too far away to hit you are they not?

Obviously not but I would hope it alerts some drivers to the fact there is something ahead of them. I'm also of the view that if I can see a light that far away there's a better chance the driver who is perhaps 20-50 metres away will spot the cyclist. You're quite right if someone can't see cyclists he/she shouldn't be driving. The harsh reality is there are those who simply don't see us and everything we can do to grab their attention is a positive step towards our personal safety.

Top Bottom