Rear light recomenations?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Hello all, not been on the forum for a while but with Autumn round the corner I'm looking to buy a good rear light.

Must haves:

Good light output (flashing mode desirable).

Seat post mountable.

Easily recharged without removing batteries (ideally USB-C).

Like to have:

If it's an expensive unit I would like to have the option of replacing the battery.

What do you all recommend given the criteria above?.

Thanks for any suggestions!.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not USB C but I’m quite happy with this, very easy to fit and remove when parked. Seems to have good life in flash mode. I’d buy two or three to make it more worthwhile with postage

https://planetx.co.uk/products/plazma-dog-star-100-lumen-rear-bike-light?

Sharky

Guru
What will be the usage?
- Day time, twilight or night riding?
- Average ride time?

When I was commuting, I always used rear lights with normal or rechargeable AAA bateries and carried a couple of spare AAA's in my pocket. Always had two rear lights as well as I didn't always notice when one had died.

Now, I just ride in day time or twilight and do use a USB rechargeble light, but should it fail, it's not so important.
Most of mine have been Cateye models - front and rear.

AlanW

Guru
I think that the Exposure lights are probably the best that you can buy tbh. Plus, their customer service to second to none!
The Trace R is a great light, but the Exposure Blaze Mk3 with ReACT is a level up again, but its does come at a cost.

si_c

Guru
Lezyne Strip Drive - it has fantastic light output - especially with the day flash mode, is USB-C rechargeable and in day flash mode lasts 24 hours.

It's not too expensive either at around £35 online. Another plus is that the rubber band is replaceable (with spares available), i've had to EOL a few lights due to the strap failing, so for me this is a big plus.

I'm a big believer in the more blinkies, the better when riding at night. During the day, I always have something bright flashing fore and aft of the bike. Currently using the following rear lights - usually a combination of them - depending on the bike and conditions:

• Magic Shime SeeMe 100
  • Cateye Viz 300
  • Cateye Reflex Rack

The Seeme is the cheapest, is plenty bright and has all the flashing modes you might want. Battery life is not great in the 'smart' modes but will last 10 hours in 'flash'. They are cheap and compact, so I have a second one which I'll take with me for longer rides. Side on visibility is okay (better than you'd expect from looking at it) and it is day time visible. Costs around £20.

The Cateye Viz 300 is a very bright in 'Daytime Hyperflash' mode, has ample run time and provides great all around visibility. The seatpost mount that it comes with, is a bit annoying as you can't take the light off the bike without removing the whole mount - but, it is not to difficult to remove and replace and is sturdy. Also, this light is compatible with lots of other cateye mounts - it uses the old, tried and tested 'Snap mount sytsem', which means I have been able to buy inexpensive brackets to mount them on the rear stays of a pannier rack, leaving the racks light bracket free for another light. These sometimes come up on Amazon for £24.

Sadly, both of the above are micro-USB rather than USB-C.

The Cateye Reflex Rack is a rack mount light (there is a seat post mount version available - but it doesn't meet BS6102/3). It is not as bright as the above, is steady mode only and runs from a couple of AAA batteries. The run time is quoted as 150 hours and given how seldomly I have to change the batteries, that appears to hold true. I always think that flashing lights are good for getting drivers attention, but a steady light is important for them to judge distance and speed. It is useless as a day time light, but as a night time light it is absolutely fine and has a large integrated reflector. It is a bit of a fiddle to change the batteries and/or remove the light if your concerned about it getting nicked on a bike locked up for long periods of time. I just tend to leave it in situ these days.

The exposure lights look great, but they are a bit expensive for my taste - especially knowing how prone I am to lose things by misplacing them.

Hello all, not been on the forum for a while but with Autumn round the corner I'm looking to buy a good rear light.

Must haves:

Good light output (flashing mode desirable).

Seat post mountable.

Easily recharged without removing batteries (ideally USB-C).

Like to have:

If it's an expensive unit I would like to have the option of replacing the battery.

What do you all recommend given the criteria above?.

Thanks for any suggestions!.

Yes to all apart from removable battery: Moon Comet X-Pro

It remembers your last mode selected so you just have to turn it on/off. It is a little stiff to get in/out of the clip ut I'd rather that than one that bounces out and I lose it.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
As Energizer lithium replaceable batteries can last all winter in flashing mode, I think I'd choose replaceable batteries over a lamp that needs frequent charging and is junk when the internal battery gets tired.

davidphilips

Phil Pip
Have owned many back lights and TBH the best by far i have ever owned is the Lezyne 180, very bright and great battery life, back screw on plastic charging cover just needs a bit of care in case of cross threading but its proved great in the last 5/6 years with constant use.

Top Bottom