Rear facing camera with decent battery life?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
That has a nice small mount which would fit. What is video quality like? Vibration etc?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Going back to the Varia I have seen these holders which would solve the problem.
Trouble is I have no idea how stable or secure the are. Anyone seen these in use?

Yes, I was going to mention that I'd seen those on the road. I look out for these kinds of thing. But I don't have any experience of one.

While they may be fine for the varia radar, I'd worry about how bouncy they would be for a camera.

However, years ago I did once attach a gopro to a Topeak wedge in a similar (but much more bodgy) way. I only used it for stills. The quality was OK.

CAESAR AVGVSTVS

Any chance of a photo of how you fix it to the bike?
I have a small bag under my saddle but it doesn't leave a lot of space. I'm worried that I haven't enough room and may have to change how I carry my tools/tubes.
If I mount it too low then the rear wheel may obstruct it.

Attachments

• IMG_0195.jpeg
    IMG_0195.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
OK. A decision has been made.
I have read maybe half a dozen reviews of the Varia and they all say that the camera and camera app are not worth the money.
The radar doesn't interest me so I decided to give it a miss (and save a fair wodge of cash).
I chose instead the TOO DVR80.
Ordered from Madison/Freewheel at a price more than £40 less than Amazon want. Order placed yesterday afternoon at 3.30 and it arrived today at breakfast time. Thought that was pretty good.
Been out and ridden some 45 miles with it and so far so good. Video quality is excellent and stills obtained from it are also very good.
Given that the sun is shining for once picture quality is fine. What it will be like in tomorrow's thunderstorms is also known - I won't be going out.
Minimal obvious vibration so damping must be decent.
Only real let down is UI which is a bit basic, but now that it is set up I suspect that I'll hardly touch it other than if an incident occurs.
Came with two mounting brackets so switching between bikes is simple.

What I'll say in 6 months is another question but as of now I'm happy with it.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
OK. A decision has been made.
I have read maybe half a dozen reviews of the Varia and they all say that the camera and camera app are not worth the money.
The radar doesn't interest me so I decided to give it a miss (and save a fair wodge of cash).
I chose instead the TOO DVR80.
Ordered from Madison/Freewheel at a price more than £40 less than Amazon want. Order placed yesterday afternoon at 3.30 and it arrived today at breakfast time. Thought that was pretty good.
Been out and ridden some 45 miles with it and so far so good. Video quality is excellent and stills obtained from it are also very good.
Given that the sun is shining for once picture quality is fine. What it will be like in tomorrow's thunderstorms is also known - I won't be going out.
Minimal obvious vibration so damping must be decent.
Only real let down is UI which is a bit basic, but now that it is set up I suspect that I'll hardly touch it other than if an incident occurs.
Came with two mounting brackets so switching between bikes is simple.

What I'll say in 6 months is another question but as of now I'm happy with it.

Good to know!

Top Bottom