Rear facing camera with decent battery life?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This thread
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/bike-camera-with-decent-battery-life.297856/
Was a practical discussion on front facing bike cameras.
Now is the time for a rear camera.
Initial thoughts were go stay with Cycliq as I understand the way they work. The option is the Fly 6 which gets mixed reviews. Photo footage is good but there is a struggle to get 5 hours of battery life and waterproofing is poor. Cycliq suggest buying a cover to help waterproofing but that seems to be an admission of a faulty design. Plus I need more than 5 hours so whilst this my give good footage it falls down elsewhere.
The Techalogic is reckoned to be reasonable value for money. Video quality is not of the best although stills obtained are good enough for identification. But this seems to be at the TEMU end of the spectrum and there does appear to be several copies of this unit under different names.
The self proclaimed market leader is of course the Garmin Varia. The latest incarnation of this has a camera built in. But the camera is reckoned to be only so so and way behind the quality of the Cycliq. Battery life may just touch 6 hours if you are lucky. In addition the hefty price includes the radar function which I have no use for. Seems to be a premium price for an average unit.
Last on the list is the Tooo DVR80 This seems a bit fiddly to set up (but you only do that once - hopefully). Battery life is 8 hours, presumably without the light function and camera is way better than varia and approaching Cycliq quality.

Gut reaction is to go for the Too DVR 80.
Anybody got any other thoughts?
Other models to consider or comments on these options?

Dadam

Über Member
I'm doing similar considerations and veering toward the Varia as I have the RTL515 and love it (now they've exchanged my faulty unit)
It's expensive to just add a so-so camera function but the appeal of a quick twist to unlock light camera and radar in a single unit has a lot of appeal.

Hmm even as I type this the grey cells are now firing unbidden and imagining a 3d printed addition to (or replacement of) the Varia case to hold a cheaper camera, like one of the bullet cameras, as well as the Varia! :laugh:

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
I'm not sure that the Varia isn't an answer looking for a question.
Various reviews have been read and the camera is rated as poor on them all.

Dadam

Über Member
If you mean the radar on it, it's a game changer (horrible cliché but apt). The question for me is can I have a single gizmo that does the 3 rear facing things I need (ok want) in one? The Varia 3 in 1 is an answer to that, just a shame the camera is poor. I don't want to mount a Varia AND a Fly6 on my seatpost and I don't really want to have to fiddle with another gizmo every time I get on/off. Already doing 3 (Garmin Edge, Fly12 and Varia).

Anyway, I'll be interested in what you go for.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Not sure that I will use the radar. I seldom ride in built up areas and am lucky to have vast areas of flat farm country round here. Lots of quiet roads that go nowhere. Don't really want to pay for something I won't use.
...although if I tried one I may say something different!

I really rate the varia radar (non camera version) ironically it comes into own in rural areas - not urban. I hate riding without it

A few people in the club I ride with have the too rear camera and really rate it

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't know if they've fixed it since but when the camera-equipped Varia came out DC Rainmaker described it as a "dumpster fire". Can't remember the details but I think lack of image stabilisation may have been a factor.

I remember this cos Garmin sent me an email saying "new toy for sale" and I was all excited until I saw the video and he said "new toy is shyte" :sad:

Worth seeking out his video anyway ...

(I have a regular Varia and I'm a convert!)

Last edited:
I've read DC Rainmaker. He still is far from convinced.

I think the problem was more with the app and the way it organizes (or not,) it's video files. Cycliq arranges then in 5 minutes chunks - from memory the Garmin/rear/camera doesn't do this and it's a PITA to find the clip you want.

CAESAR AVGVSTVS

I have the Garmin Varia radar camera. I think it’s perfect for the job. At night the rear light lights up the cars front number plate.
I can switch the camera on whenever I like and it switches itself on when a car approaches. It also lets me know if the car is coming up at speed!!
Great for letting me know how many cars are lined up behind me and perfect for the electric cars you can’t hear.
I find it’s worth every penny when you need to change lanes at a dual carriageway roundabout, you can see behind you before you look behind you!
As for picture quality I’ve attached some images from a recording.

Attachments

• IMG_0193.jpeg
    IMG_0193.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0194.jpeg
    IMG_0194.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 19

si_c

Guru
I've got the Fly 6 Gen 3 and it works well, granted the battery doesn't last as long as the Fly 12, apparently the new Fly 6 Pro does have longer battery life.

The camera quality is good enough for catching number plates and anything else you want from a "safety" camera. The Gen 3 doesn't have image stabilisation though, which might be a deal breaker, but in practice I've not found it to be a problem, especially as with the front camera you have a second chance to catch a license plate if needed.

I've only reported a couple of particularly egregious close passes in the two years I've had them though so in all honesty I rarely ever check the footage.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Can anyone confirm that Mk2 Chilli-tech bullet cam is acceptable on dull days.
(The Mk1 was hopeless with number plates).

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
I have the Garmin Varia radar camera. I think it’s perfect for the job. At night the rear light lights up the cars front number plate.
I can switch the camera on whenever I like and it switches itself on when a car approaches. It also lets me know if the car is coming up at speed!!
Great for letting me know how many cars are lined up behind me and perfect for the electric cars you can’t hear.
I find it’s worth every penny when you need to change lanes at a dual carriageway roundabout, you can see behind you before you look behind you!
As for picture quality I’ve attached some images from a recording.
Any chance of a photo of how you fix it to the bike?
I have a small bag under my saddle but it doesn't leave a lot of space. I'm worried that I haven't enough room and may have to change how I carry my tools/tubes.
If I mount it too low then the rear wheel may obstruct it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Any chance of a photo of how you fix it to the bike?
I have a small bag under my saddle but it doesn't leave a lot of space. I'm worried that I haven't enough room and may have to change how I carry my tools/tubes.
If I mount it too low then the rear wheel may obstruct it.

My Varia is bodged onto my rack using some quarter turn bits I bought from ebay and a big ugly bolt. I think Garmin have missed a trick with Varia mounts. They seem to assume everyone rides a bike with a teeny frame and a load of exposed seatpost, with no bags or anything. The internet is full of hand-bodged Varia mounts.

Although you'd run into the same problem with other things like the Fly6

Top Bottom