Rant: bloody speeding drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Our house is on an A-road on the outskirts of a village, on a somewhat blind bend.

The road used to be 30mph but some time ago was knocked down to 20. It's definitely brought a welcome reduction in noise from the traffic that does actually respect the signage, however from a safety perspective I personally didn't see the need for this if people stuck to the speed limit. Of course predictably a fair amount of drivers ignored the old 30-limit, and I'd hoped that the new restrictions might at least reduce the ridiculous speed some come through the village; even if it remained in excess of the limit.

Tbh it's absolutely bloody pathetic - the 20 limit signs are at the top of a hill on a long, well-sighted straight on a 50-limit road and there's plenty of time / warning to ease off in good time so you're rolling at 20 when you get there. Of course this doesn't stop people coming through the village at 40 or 50-plus; illustrating just how inattentive / selfish / arrogant many drivers are.

Having to cross this road regularly on a poorly-sighted bend I'm utterly sick of these self-gratification artists endangering my life and I now just tend to keep walking if something appears at excess speed; glaring at the driver. I had one come through so fast a while ago he had to brake to a complete stop to avoid hitting me; while had he been travelling at the limit I'd have been long-gone by the time he passed.

The dickhead envelope was pushed last night by a bloke who must have been doing 50; swerving around me with no effort to slow or acknowledge his twattery as I stopped dead in the middle of the carriageway for fear of being hit. Moments later he had to brake hard to avoid running into the queue of traffic that'd accumulated in front of him...

I was on my way to the shops when this happened; following the main road... his grotty budget soft-roader edging forward in traffic tantalisingly close ahead of me. I nearly lost him but a little bit of a jog saw me reach his vehicle as he sat waiting for the lights to change; so I ventured over and gave a sharp tap on his window with my knuckles. That was enough to make the podgy, feckless knobhead jump out of his skin; and I followed up with few short words and appropriate hand gesture before turning and continuing on my journey.

It appeared that he had his teenage daughter in the car so I wasn't going to make any more of it, and I hope his spineless reaction in the wake of his pathetic driving was shame enough in front of her to reconsider his behaviour in future. Had he been on his own though and made something of it, I'd have delighted in putting him on his arse in the middle of the road.

Life has taken a turn for the worst again recently and I'm struggling as it is; without having to endure the prospect of being seriously injured or killed by these utterly selfish individuals just for daring to cross the bloody road outside my house. I'd dearly love to be able to do something about these utter scumbags, but as usual feel pretty much powerless :sad:

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Is there any village groups. Possibly sticking up a few extra 20 signs ?

Mike_P

Guru
Ripon City Council are complaining about plans to reduce the speed limit on the A61 from Harrogate to a maximum of 50 rather than 60 making it like the stretch through Wormald Green, um... thats been 40 for years.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Is there any village groups. Possibly sticking up a few extra 20 signs ?

There's the council and a village FB group that could be whinged to; although signage is already perfectly adiquate so any more would achieve nothing.

I'm wondering about one of those initiatives where the polis(?) supply a speed gun to be manned by volunteers, or maybe just making my own pile of house bricks on the verge that can be casually tossed towards the windscreens of offending vehicles when appropriate...

Fastpedaller

Über Member
At Kelling in Norfolk the A road is a pleasant twisty coastal road, but some treat it as a Motorway. One of the locals with a garden beside the road put up a yellow box (it was a birdbox) and the Police had stern words with him and made him take it down. I think I'd have said - 'birds nesting in it so I can't remove it'. If it slowed motorists (it seemed to) what's the problem? Surely Police can't dictate the colour of a bird box on someone's own land?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Something like this should suffice:

1722096627299.png

Our house is on an A-road on the outskirts of a village, on a somewhat blind bend.

The road used to be 30mph but some time ago was knocked down to 20. It's definitely brought a welcome reduction in noise from the traffic that does actually respect the signage, however from a safety perspective I personally didn't see the need for this if people stuck to the speed limit. Of course predictably a fair amount of drivers ignored the old 30-limit, and I'd hoped that the new restrictions might at least reduce the ridiculous speed some come through the village; even if it remained in excess of the limit.

Tbh it's absolutely bloody pathetic - the 20 limit signs are at the top of a hill on a long, well-sighted straight on a 50-limit road and there's plenty of time / warning to ease off in good time so you're rolling at 20 when you get there. Of course this doesn't stop people coming through the village at 40 or 50-plus; illustrating just how inattentive / selfish / arrogant many drivers are.

Having to cross this road regularly on a poorly-sighted bend I'm utterly sick of these self-gratification artists endangering my life and I now just tend to keep walking if something appears at excess speed; glaring at the driver. I had one come through so fast a while ago he had to brake to a complete stop to avoid hitting me; while had he been travelling at the limit I'd have been long-gone by the time he passed.

The dickhead envelope was pushed last night by a bloke who must have been doing 50; swerving around me with no effort to slow or acknowledge his twattery as I stopped dead in the middle of the carriageway for fear of being hit. Moments later he had to brake hard to avoid running into the queue of traffic that'd accumulated in front of him...

I was on my way to the shops when this happened; following the main road... his grotty budget soft-roader edging forward in traffic tantalisingly close ahead of me. I nearly lost him but a little bit of a jog saw me reach his vehicle as he sat waiting for the lights to change; so I ventured over and gave a sharp tap on his window with my knuckles. That was enough to make the podgy, feckless knobhead jump out of his skin; and I followed up with few short words and appropriate hand gesture before turning and continuing on my journey.

It appeared that he had his teenage daughter in the car so I wasn't going to make any more of it, and I hope his spineless reaction in the wake of his pathetic driving was shame enough in front of her to reconsider his behaviour in future. Had he been on his own though and made something of it, I'd have delighted in putting him on his arse in the middle of the road.

Life has taken a turn for the worst again recently and I'm struggling as it is; without having to endure the prospect of being seriously injured or killed by these utterly selfish individuals just for daring to cross the bloody road outside my house. I'd dearly love to be able to do something about these utter scumbags, but as usual feel pretty much powerless :sad:

Try writing to this lot https://news.oxfordshire.gov.uk/speeding-taskforce/

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
There's the council and a village FB group that could be whinged to; although signage is already perfectly adiquate so any more would achieve nothing.

I'm wondering about one of those initiatives where the polis(?) supply a speed gun to be manned by volunteers, or maybe just making my own pile of house bricks on the verge that can be casually tossed towards the windscreens of offending vehicles when appropriate...

in my experience complaining about speeding gets you as much sympathy as riding a bike, dont give a monkeys and it rapidly descends into a mud slinging match about how much of an injustice it is expecting drivers to obey the rules !:eek:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've seen home made signs which may get through to 5% of people who are just innatentive rather than dangerous idiots. I've also seen a straw person (like a Guy Fawkes) dressed as a policeman holding a speed gun. I'm not sure how effective they are though. Maybe your local councilor can raise it, take it to the police or whatever. It's sounds stupid but I think there needs to be a minimum number of RTAs and/or deaths before a speed camera is installed

sleuthey

Legendary Member
If I were in your shoes I would cross with a video recording running and submit incidents like you describe above to the police in the same way I do Helmet Camera footage. They can calculate the speed by looking at Catseyes per second or whatever. The drivers have not taken care to obey or attention to notice the speed limits. Not sure if such a reporting facility exists in your county though.

blackrat

As long as there is no connection between having a driving licence and having proof of a brain, I doubt if there can ever be any improvement in driving habits.

At Kelling in Norfolk the A road is a pleasant twisty coastal road, but some treat it as a Motorway. One of the locals with a garden beside the road put up a yellow box (it was a birdbox) and the Police had stern words with him and made him take it down. I think I'd have said - 'birds nesting in it so I can't remove it'. If it slowed motorists (it seemed to) what's the problem? Surely Police can't dictate the colour of a bird box on someone's own land?

I thought I heard about one where the owner wasn't forced to take it down because it was on his land, and he never claimed it was anything but a bird box.

Of course, that's the (dis)advantage of making speed cameras stupidly obvious to pander to entitled motorists; they slow down at the sight of any bright yellow box.

Ours are dark green and often hidden.

Top Bottom