Prescription (Sun)glasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm half blind too (-4.75 L, -3.75R). On the commute I just wear my normal specs, although when choosing something I tried to find a frame that offered the right cover for my eyes. For leisure rides I opted for the contact lens route too (daily disposables) with normal (curcially cheaper) sunglassess after reading advice on the forum and they do see more flexible. Different sunglass lenses for differnt conditions and when removed I'm not completely blind any more. I've also found contacts usefull for other situations like swiming.

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
Thanks for the responses guys (and gals naturally). Lots to read and consider!

LLB

Consider specsavers daily disposable contacts. Very comfortable, and you can carry on using regular sunglasses.

I get about 10 pairs every 3 months as I don't like using them in work with VDUs, and work out to £8 per month.

I now have a stockpile of about 50 pairs which I use at weekends.

Specsavers also do a 2 for 1 offer of specs with the option to get the 2nd pair tinted for an extra £10 IIRC which is what I did.

Or the same as HLaB which I just read :biggrin:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I've got two pairs of optilab jobs. Both times hassle free, but it wouldn't surprise me that they're not hot on feedback. The pro's are there are plenty of styles and lens choices and they're relatively cheap. I really wanted something functional rather than bling for cycling.

Even though I'm only moderately short-sighted, I've never got on with the glasses+inserts.

garrilla

I'm in need of glasses for cycling too

I have just been fitted with Cebe Sports with inserts but they could not seem to get the prescription right and I was too concerned with my vision all the time I'm riding, which is mainly a commuter ride so I need to be concenrating on the road environs rather than my blurry/double vision. And the inserts seemed to sit too close to my eye for comfort or I had to wear the glasses too far down my nose so there was no protection from the wind.

Anyway, the opticians agreed to take them back and now I'm looking to find direct glazed variants. My Rx is not too bad (-3.5, -2.5) so I'm looking for recomendations that include the possibility of react-to-light lens in a frame that offers good protection.

Any

I got mine from Optilabs last year, and had quick replies to emails with my queries beforehand, so maybe they've improved on that front. The only slight downside is that I have found that the ends of the arms, when folded up, have started to scratch the lenses slightly.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have had some very curved Rudy Projects made for me in a varifocal sunglass lens by a technician who is earning himself a reptuation around here as willing to try a bit harder than most. Even the sport glasses reps are bringing him their more difficult jobs. The lenese are curved beyond what most technicians consider possible but he has done it. Inevitably there is a little distortion but after a few minutes you get used to it. His prices are excellent too.

His name is Steve and he has his own business: Active Eyes in Racliffe, Bury. http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/active-eyes-manchester

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Flying Dodo said:
I got mine from Optilabs last year, and had quick replies to emails with my queries beforehand, so maybe they've improved on that front. The only slight downside is that I have found that the ends of the arms, when folded up, have started to scratch the lenses slightly.

I've got a pair from Optilabs. They came remarkably quickly, fit well and do the business. I've got quite a strong prescription (-6.5 ish in both eyes); there is some distortion but nothing to worry about.

It's true that the arm ends can rest on the lens when folded; I have made it a rule that I wrap a silk lens cloth around the lenses when they're in the case and that solves that.

garrilla

The optician acquired some 'Leader T-zone' http://www.zleader.com/tzone.htm and will fit react-to-light glazed lens. He has given me the frames to road-test whith contacts to see how protective they are. So I'll take a ride-out tonight and evalute them - I'm actually hoping it rains!

I like to keep-it-local if I can so staying with the LOS is as important as staying with the LBS for me.

garrilla

garrilla said:
The optician acquired some 'Leader T-zone' http://www.zleader.com/tzone.htm and will fit react-to-light glazed lens. He has given me the frames to road-test whith contacts to see how protective they are. So I'll take a ride-out tonight and evalute them - I'm actually hoping it rains!

I like to keep-it-local if I can so staying with the LOS is as important as staying with the LBS for me.

And on it goes...

I road-tested these glasses last night, great protection from the wind and big open vision ahead. However, the big downside is the construction, they're more like googles, which introduces a blind-spot so checking back requires the head to be turned much further. A no-no for me.

The good thing tho' is that my LOpShop called Optilabs and they can do a trade deal.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Uncle Phil said:
I've got quite a strong prescription (-6.5 ish in both eyes); there is some distortion but nothing to worry about.

Is that all - I think mine is twice that :eek:

I forgot to take my clip-ons when I went skiing. I had to buy a pair of sunglasses that just sit over the top of my spectacles. They cost about £20. They are a bit big, but should be OK for cycling. Just need some sun.

Top Bottom