Poor quality National Cycleway.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I went for a jog along a towpath last week because I'm too fat, old and don't want to die. Anyway, I remember cycling on it years ago and it was a well maintained path around 1 metre wide (roughly 4 hedgehogs width, assuming regular 25 centimetre long hedgehogs). The surface was originally compacted clay/gravel and was lovely to cycle on. When I got there grass had grown over it so much it was only 1 hedgehog in width and was basically a rut with 3 or 4 inch high sides (2 mice). It was pretty hard to run or walk along as it was just too narrow. And then of course there was the usual encroachment of stinging nettles and brambles dangling down from above at face height. One wobble and you could hit the side of the trench and fall off, possibly into the canal/river.

The path is National Cycle Network Route 4. Is there not some kind of minimum standard for a route? Google Maps has downgraded parts of it from "trail" to "dirt/unpaved trail". Certainly not suitable for trailers. Do routes ever get taken off the Cycle Network?

Many are shoot. I wouldn't use one unless I had prior knowledge. Often you can pick up photos from streetview to check, even if the route as a whole isn't covered.

OP
OP
T

Tiggy

Does make you wonder what the point is of a cycle network that only may or may not be suitable for cycles.

Would have posted again earlier but was out for a run in the woods. Saw a squirrel, dogs, and lots of people, 2 of which were above horses. Ended up taking an accidental bonus route so took much longer than expected.

I've changed my mind about canal towpaths being used as NCNs or off road cycle routes, they're simply not suitable even when wide and surfaced well as they are leisure paths for mixed use. I still ride them near me regularly but as a leisurely slow ride not anything more.

a.twiddler

Veteran
The road beyond this sign was definitely wider than the average hedgehog. Perhaps the hedgehogs in this part of Cheshire are enormous, and get their own back by squashing passing traffic?

1728224100576.jpeg

Fortunately, I didn't see any in passing.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've changed my mind about canal towpaths being used as NCNs or off road cycle routes, they're simply not suitable even when wide and surfaced well as they are leisure paths for mixed use. I still ride them near me regularly but as a leisurely slow ride not anything more.

And they're full of pedestrians who are at best know it all prats, and at worst dangerous loons.

Mike_P

Guru
I had some clown on the path section of NCN636 'Beryl Burton Way' which is adorned with standard road signs inform me I shouldn't be cycling.

Drago

Legendary Member
I once went to a partnership meeting about crime on the waterways - only rivers and canals here in Poshshire - the the canal guy from British Waterways turned up in his blue NATO sweater dripping with insignia and gold braid. Couldn't take him seriously. It was like a Chris's Barrie pith take.

Top Bottom