Petitions on Facebook

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slow horse

Mine's not a scam, it's a legitimate request to increase my wealth at little expense to individual donors.

Psamathe

There are so many on facebook, are they legit or are they scams? Looks like an easy way to make money, if people do cough up.
I don't do the likes of Facebook, Xitter, etc. but all the petitions I've seen elsewhere are where you sign (for free) to support a campaign for something you agree with eg "We the undersigned think that xxx should (or should not) be permitted ...". How do these Facebook petitions "make money"?

Ian

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I don't do the likes of Facebook, Xitter, etc. but all the petitions I've seen elsewhere are where you sign (for free) to support a campaign for something you agree with eg "We the undersigned think that xxx should (or should not) be permitted ...". How do these Facebook petitions "make money"?

Ian

Many of the petitions I sign then take you to a thank you page asking you to chip in to support the court case or whatever. None of them are on Facebook and tend to be well known organisations such as Greenpeace or on a campaign platform like 38 degrees. I don't think I've ever responded to the request for money.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
They are only interested in gathering marketing data (for other people) and personal preference data (to sell to other people), and to find out what your preferences are so they can better target ads at you. Anyone who signs up to anything for free is "the product". FB takes it 2 steps further. It is a weird concept though; I once got upset when curries wanted my address when I was buying a camera. But I've freely given lots of my personal data and photos to FB just so people can click "like" on them. I would delete my account tomorrow and request that all data is removed, but what if Carly from school wants to contact me in an emergency (even though I haven't seen her for 25 years)? I don't have her number. She could be in trouble

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I do look at our local FB page as it does contain useful and sometimes vital information. Scams do appear sometimes but are detected quickly.
I do not contribute and have no “ friends” but just browse.
The Isle of Harris page is good for a laugh as they take the mickey out of touroid and settlers.

Top Bottom