Performance gains of road pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blimpnoddle

I've just switched from the rubbish basic pedals that came with my road bike to some entry level Shimano R540 road pedals and there's a significant increase in performance,especially uphill. I'm able to deliver a lot more power through the pedals with little increase in effort.

I wondered what sort of performance gains (%age ave speed increase) others have experienced doing the same, and also typical performance gains switching from SPD's to road pedals.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
They look better . That's about it .

MikeW-71

Veteran
What you've seen there is that you no longer have to worry about your foot slipping off, so you can put on all the power you like.

GCN tested exactly this on one of their videos and concluded there was no difference in performance at all, but the riders pedal stroke was smoother with clipless pedals.

vickster

Legendary Member
Less risk of damage to shins and ankles. More risk of a clipless moment or going ar*e over t*t walking on slippery surfaces! Also more likely to look like a wally walking like a duck on cafe stops :biggrin:

Suppose the main diff is a lot of road shoes cannot take standard SPD cleats so you have to use others.
If you switch you will usually have to change your shoes - assuming you are using MTB type shoes that is.
In addition to this, if you want to walk like a human and not destroy your cleats at £14 a pair, you'll need cleatskins or such like.
You most likely got your cleats with your pedals for about £13 - the SPD cleats last years as opposed to months using SPDSLS, and a realistic minimum of £24 for spd-SL or other types/brands, which may not even include the cleats.

On a final note, if you are used to your M520 double- sided, you'll have lots of jolly fun trying to get used to single sided pedals especially if doing a lot of stop-start.

Good luck in your choice

Tony

Drago

Legendary Member
GCN tested exactly this on one of their videos and concluded there was no difference in performance at all, but the riders pedal stroke was smoother with clipless pedals.
of the 4 parameters they measured two showed a tiny improvement in favour of clipless, one was dead even, one a tiny swing towards flat, but they cherry picked the result that favoured flats and held it up as the shining light of scientific righteousness.

By their very own admission, it wasn't a very scientific test, which makes one wonder why they bothered at all.

vickster

Legendary Member
On a final note, if you are used to your M520 double- sided, you'll have lots of jolly fun trying to get used to single sided pedals especially if doing a lot of stop-start.

Good luck in your choice

Tony
Indeed single sided pedals are a PITA

Indeed single sided pedals are a PITA
Especially when you punch out at a roundabout only for your leg to skid straight off the pedal almost taking you ŵith it.

MikeW-71

Veteran
of the 4 parameters they measured two showed a tiny improvement in favour of clipless, one was dead even, one a tiny swing towards flat, but they cherry picked the result that favoured flats and held it up as the shining light of scientific righteousness.

By their very own admission, it wasn't a very scientific test, which makes one wonder why they bothered at all.
True enough, but it gives a general idea.

I've just been riding on flats tonight on my CX with A530 pedals. I usually use clipless on them, but tonight I used trainers. No difference in speed/effort at all.

sannesley

More risk of a clipless moment or going ar*e over t*t walking on slippery surfaces! :biggrin:

Definitely me at the moment. I've just moved over to shimano SPDs and 2 trips out and falls both times with cuts and grazed, bruised knees to show for it :B).

I keep saying to myself you just have to get used to them but I don't know :blush:

Crankarm

Guru
This reads like a beginners thread to bikes. Spds, cleats make one hell of a lot of difference to your cycling efficiency. For one you can ride a lot further and faster with cleats/SPDs than on basic flat pedals with no securing mechanism and without stiff cycling shoes and two it is so much more comfortable. But if you only ride 2 miles to work or to get your groceries on a knackered Appollo or Carrera wearing equally knackered trainers, you ain't going to really see the point of SPDs or cleats. If you are a proper cyclist you ride with cycling shoes with SPDs or cleats. Period.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
This reads like a beginners thread to bikes. Spds, cleats make one hell of a lot of difference to your cycling efficiency. For one you can ride a lot further and faster with cleats/SPDs than on basic flat pedals with no securing mechanism and without stiff cycling shoes and two it is so much more comfortable. But if you only ride 2 miles to work or to get your groceries on a knackered Appollo or Carrera wearing equally knackered trainers, you ain't going to really see the point of SPDs or cleats. If you are a proper cyclist you ride with cycling shoes with SPDs or cleats. Period.
What's a "proper cyclist"?

Top Bottom