Password managers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I'll remember your passwords so you don't have to, just call me on 0800 6665555 and tell me what you want to remember.

I called it, but just got your sexy time answerphone. Can you turn that off please.

Freeweel

Regular
Not really, the maths is undergraduate level.

Of course, you're right. Most of the big security companies use 21 year olds with a 2-1 to set their security parameters, because that protects their brand adequately and is bound to be uncrackable. I defer to your knowledge of the field.

si_c

Guru
I don't understand why any login page would allow 2^28 guesses at 1000 guesses/sec. All it takes is an upper limit and a delay.
They don't. The point is that people re-use passwords which password managers help to prevent. The scenario this stops is a website getting hacked and the hacker comparing the stored passwords to a list of known used passwords. The guesses aren't entered into the website directly they're done offline - at significantly more than 1,000 guesses - my computer does it at well over 1mil per second even on more securely stored passwords.

Once the passwords are uncovered the hacker then tries them on a bunch of websites to see which ones they can get into.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Of course, you're right. Most of the big security companies use 21 year olds with a 2-1 to set their security parameters, because that protects their brand adequately and is bound to be uncrackable. I defer to your knowledge of the field.

I was talking about the maths not the computer implementation. the vulnerabilities are in the implementation details not the maths.

Top Bottom