Passing cyclists courteously—new video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I haven't done a commentary since I did my Class 1 course in the late 90's. At least I've not done one out loud with someone else in the car.

I tell you what's crap. Insurers will generally give a small discount to IAM or RoSPA drivers, yet generally will not for police advanced drivers, despite it being a far, far more advwnced level,of training. The IAM/RoSPA is roughly equivalent to the old Class 4 ticket, a little bit south of the current Standard police ticket, yet me with my skills and experience that has done training for RoSPA trainers gets sod all. It grinds my gears every year when it rolls around. Mrs D (she's younger than me so Class 1 had been renamed Advanced by the time she did hers) was in the same boat, but she joined IaM in order to sidestep that. I'm stubborn so refused on principle.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I tell you what's crap. Insurers will generally give a small discount to IAM or RoSPA drivers, yet generally will not for police advanced drivers, despite it being a far, far more advwnced level,of training.
I wonder why...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnxS1K2XJjA

Drago

Legendary Member
Holy Trump! He has a lot of paperwork ahead of him.

It is traditional that once a beat or patrol bobby such as this totals a car they are swift given a plum job on RPU while people with impeccable driving records have to wait their turn, such is the logic of HR (Human Remains.)

And that's not an exaggeration, I've known it happen numerous times, people who couldn't handle a car given an even faster one to play with. Its a kind of deadly Peter Principle thing played out with motor vehicles.

Did I ever tell you why I got thrown off RPU? I may have done, but can't recall.

mjr

Holy Trump! He has a lot of paperwork ahead of him.

It is traditional that once a beat or patrol bobby such as this totals a car they are swift given a plum job on RPU while people with impeccable driving records have to wait their turn, such is the logic of HR (Human Remains.)
Suspended from driving, investigated, blamed on fatigue, no further action as far as we know. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-22154947

I posted it as a joke, but I do wonder if police job titles are linked in insurers' tables with increases for risk factors like fatigue and stress which may negate the assessed benefit of any extra training. More strongly linked than IAM or RoSPA qualifications are, at least.

I think you've mentioned the circumstances of your departure either here or in the other place.

And just to circle back to the topic, police vehicles here do tend to pass cyclists better than the general public, with the possible exception of the black 4x4s around Sandringham who often seem to be in a hurry to get somewhere along the narrow roads in that area. I remember a group ride having a very nice wide safe overtake by a patient older headscarf-wearing lady driver ;) followed by an utter MGIF by the following black 4x4 bouncing two wheels along a high verge. Maybe Special Branch or whatever they are now need to go to the same driving school as the driver they were following :laugh:

figbat

Slippery scientist
Suspended from driving, investigated, blamed on fatigue, no further action as far as we know. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-22154947
From https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-19260335...
1718368428342.png

...but from https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-22154947...
1718368452545.png

Which is it and who's being inconsistent - the Norfolk Police or the BBC?

Drago

Legendary Member

I posted it as a joke, but I do wonder if police job titles are linked in insurers' tables with increases for risk factors like fatigue and stress which may negate the assessed benefit of any extra training. More strongly linked than IAM or RoSPA qualifications are, at least.

I think you've mentioned the circumstances of your departure either here or in the other place.

And just to circle back to the topic, police vehicles here do tend to pass cyclists better than the general public, with the possible exception of the black 4x4s around Sandringham who often seem to be in a hurry to get somewhere along the narrow roads in that area. I remember a group ride having a very nice wide safe overtake by a patient older headscarf-wearing lady driver ;) followed by an utter MGIF by the following black 4x4 bouncing two wheels along a high verge. Maybe Special Branch or whatever they are now need to go to the same driving school as the driver they were following :laugh:

Apparently, old bill are second only to qualified nurses in the low risk car insurance stakes. But then insurers make it up as they go along.

I think I may have mentioned my career hari kari on here at some point, probably. Never been to the other affiliated place - I'm too frightened!

Bristolian

I haven't done a commentary since I did my Class 1 course in the late 90's. At least I've not done one out loud with someone else in the car.

I tell you what's crap. Insurers will generally give a small discount to IAM or RoSPA drivers, yet generally will not for police advanced drivers, despite it being a far, far more advwnced level,of training. The IAM/RoSPA is roughly equivalent to the old Class 4 ticket, a little bit south of the current Standard police ticket, yet me with my skills and experience that has done training for RoSPA trainers gets sod all. It grinds my gears every year when it rolls around. Mrs D (she's younger than me so Class 1 had been renamed Advanced by the time she did hers) was in the same boat, but she joined IaM in order to sidestep that. I'm stubborn so refused on principle.

This is a complaint I have heard from several police advanced drivers and I would find it insulting in your position. TBH, I've only ever found one insurance company that even asks if you have an advanced qualification and their policy was so expensive the small discount didn't get them my business.

OP
OP
H

Happy_Days

Fewer than 2000 views so far.
I agree it would be better condensed into a 5-minute video. More positively, however, it’s now approaching seven and a half thousand views.

mjr

Anyone who gets frustrated or anxious when encountering a slower moving road user really shouldn't be behind the wheel.

Getting them to admit that is another thing entirely.
Frustrated or angry shouldn't be driving. A little bit anxious may be healthy and make them take more care.

Absolutely no surprise that it was a "Road Safety" trust funding that. Classic "Road Safety" is a big threat to cycling. According to "Road Safety" orthodoxy, motorways are great for cycling safety because no cycling can legally occur on them. What we really need is Road Danger Reduction, where discouraging cycling isn't an acceptable tactic to reduce reported road casualties.

Top Bottom