Pashley Millennium Ex- Royal Mail bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grldtnr

Über Member
Just giving you my opinions on these bikes, bearing in mind, the majority of them were abused.
Hopefully you got lucky, but the Sturmey were the pick of the bunch

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Just giving you my opinions on these bikes, bearing in mind, the majority of them were abused.
Hopefully you got lucky, but the Sturmey were the pick of the bunch

The front wheel has definitely been bounced up and down kerbs 😆 Fitted new spoke and trued it up as best as I could but the rim has been bent in places. Not to worry though, it still rides well and I’m not doing time trials on it.
The three speed works now after working out why first did not hold, it turns out the cable tab in the thumb shifter was bent and that lack of travel did not help the gear change. It’s got the same Sachs adjuster as my other Pashley but is marked SRAM
How do I lube the rear hub ? Is it dropped through the spindle ?

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Had a surplus Midland saddlebag in the garage so I’ve added it to the Brooks
IMG_6178.jpeg

Chris S

Legendary Member

If it doesn't have an oil port then the bearings are supposed to be 'sealed for life'. I lubricate mine by squirting WD40 down the spindle. It's fine enough to get in all the nooks and crannies when it's first squirted, then when the solvent evaporates it leaves a thicker protective film.

grldtnr

Über Member
If it doesn't have an oil port then the bearings are supposed to be 'sealed for life'. I lubricate mine by squirting WD40 down the spindle. It's fine enough to get in all the nooks and crannies when it's first squirted, then when the solvent evaporates it leaves a thicker protective film.

It shouldn't need 'lubrication' the units are sealed for life, yo probably do more harm than good, particularly the Sturmey Archer hubs, although the early ones had oil ports, the modern ones used a special grease, kind of luminous green snot!
Same go's for the SRAM / Sachs ,don't lube, it shouldn't need it

grldtnr

Über Member
The front wheel has definitely been bounced up and down kerbs 😆 Fitted new spoke and trued it up as best as I could but the rim has been bent in places. Not to worry though, it still rides well and I’m not doing time trials on it.
The three speed works now after working out why first did not hold, it turns out the cable tab in the thumb shifter was bent and that lack of travel did not help the gear change. It’s got the same Sachs adjuster as my other Pashley but is marked SRAM

I take it you know how to adjust the SRAM/ Sachs gear, it's fiddly, the Sturmey is far easier.

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
It shouldn't need 'lubrication' the units are sealed for life, yo probably do more harm than good, particularly the Sturmey Archer hubs, although the early ones had oil ports, the modern ones used a special grease, kind of luminous green snot!
Same go's for the SRAM / Sachs ,don't lube, it shouldn't need it

Thankyou for the advice,my older Sachs hub has an oil filler so I did wonder how this worked

grldtnr

Über Member
I’ve just trial and error adjusted it. It all feels good now and I have a first gear

You select bottom gear, back pedal a few rev's, if it's the sleeve and toggle indicator rod, depress the springy thingy, making sure it's is tight, then select middle, then push/ move the adjuster at the spindle end, it should be just about slack.
Then , select top it ought to go completely slack, back to bottom , it ought to be tight, with just a bit of movement.
The Sturmey ,has a shoulder on the rod, screw in ,finger tight, select middle gear, then wind the barrel adjuster till the shoulders align with the spindle, far easier.

grldtnr

Über Member
There isn't any way to lube these hubs, unless you dismantle and re- grease, which you don't need to do. The sacs/SRAMS used sealed cartridge bearings so you junked them ,and replaced rather than lubed.

Top Bottom