Pashley Millennium Ex- Royal Mail bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Finally scratched my post bike itch and bought a nice Pashley Millennium Royal Mail bike.
I’ve been hunting for one for ages and ideally wanted an early, rod braked version but they were either too far away, silly money or total wrecks.
One came up on marketplace on Sunday only half an hour away and not to giddy funds wise.
Got it home and gave it a once over before going on a shakedown 10 miler along the Bridgewater canal and Roe Green loop line.
Fantastic bike and surprisingly easy to ride.

IMG_5967.jpeg

IMG_5975.jpeg

IMG_5977.jpeg

IMG_5986.jpeg

IMG_5991.jpeg

IMG_5990.jpeg

IMG_5996.jpeg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Is this the 'Elephant' bike?
Saw one down here not so long ago which was being used by ice cream cornet vendor, bit of overkill but perfect for that.

Alex H

Legendary Member
Finally scratched my post bike itch and bought a nice Pashley Millennium Royal Mail bike.
I’ve been hunting for one for ages and ideally wanted an early, rod braked version but they were either too far away, silly money or total wrecks.
One came up on marketplace on Sunday only half an hour away and not to giddy funds wise.
Got it home and gave it a once over before going on a shakedown 10 miler along the Bridgewater canal and Roe Green loop line.
Fantastic bike and surprisingly easy to ride.

View attachment 734583

View attachment 734584

View attachment 734585

View attachment 734586

View attachment 734587

View attachment 734588

View attachment 734593

Did it take long to find the matching barge? :whistle:

grldtnr

Über Member
I am a ex - cycling postie ( retired), part of my postal duties was to repair and maintain these bikes, I remember the old Dawes and Pashley rod pull brakes bikes, single speed, mins had a double top tube 'coz I am actually bigger, not particularly comfy to ride but they could lug a lot of weight, thinhs progressed to the Millennium bikes, when the frames were slightly modified, fitted with the Sturmey Archer drum brakes and the 3 speed hubs, they were a little lighter, and far better to ride, your particular example looks to me is one of the latter Millenniums fitted with Sach drum brake and 3 spd hub, these were not as good as the SA fitted ones, particularly the brake cables would seize up, and common for the rear hub to fail.
Then the Mailstar came along the 'Square' framed bikes, a retrograde move in my opinion,the rear pannier rack in creased luggage capacity, but it was far heavier and quite stodgy to ride, but it had a low centre of gravity so balanced well, what I couldn't figure out was why they had odd wheels, 24 " front, 26" rear, didn't make sense to me to have 2 sizes of wheels, why not both in 24" rims?
They did come specced with schwable marathon tyres with puncture protection, a hard wearing tyre.
But the SA specced Millennium was the best one.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
I am a ex - cycling postie ( retired), part of my postal duties was to repair and maintain these bikes, I remember the old Dawes and Pashley rod pull brakes bikes, single speed, mins had a double top tube 'coz I am actually bigger, not particularly comfy to ride but they could lug a lot of weight, thinhs progressed to the Millennium bikes, when the frames were slightly modified, fitted with the Sturmey Archer drum brakes and the 3 speed hubs, they were a little lighter, and far better to ride, your particular example looks to me is one of the latter Millenniums fitted with Sach drum brake and 3 spd hub, these were not as good as the SA fitted ones, particularly the brake cables would seize up, and common for the rear hub to fail.
Then the Mailstar came along the 'Square' framed bikes, a retrograde move in my opinion,the rear pannier rack in creased luggage capacity, but it was far heavier and quite stodgy to ride, but it had a low centre of gravity so balanced well, what I couldn't figure out was why they had odd wheels, 24 " front, 26" rear, didn't make sense to me to have 2 sizes of wheels, why not both in 24" rims?
They did come specced with schwable marathon tyres with puncture protection, a hard wearing tyre.

Thanks for the insight

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover

The only markings I can see on the drum brakes are SRAM, it has a Torpedo 3speed thumb shifter which is the same as my SACHS 3 speed on my other Pashley. Cannot see any markings on the rear hub but I will have a proper look once I’ve started fettling it a bit more. It rides really well even on the chunky tyres.

grldtnr

Über Member
The only markings I can see on the drum brakes are SRAM, it has a Torpedo 3speed thumb shifter which is the same as my SACHS 3 speed on my other Pashley. Cannot see any markings on the rear hub but I will have a proper look once I’ve started fettling it a bit more. It rides really well even on the chunky tyres.

Sachs / SRAM, I get the 2 confused, no markings, then you can identify by the indicator rod, the Sturmey has a chain and a knurled nut, the Sachs/ SRAM torpedo has a grooved indicator rod, which has a sprung loaded ratchet on it ,some had a 'clickbox' fitting on it, with a red widget which was rather fragile, those would have been 5 speed hubs, and very unreliable, i do hope you haven't one of those, the Torpedo unit was ok, but a bit of bugger to keep adjusted, if run out of kilter they fail, i sincerely hope yours is good.
The Sturmey was bulletproof, rarely went wrong.
Looking at you pics I can tell that's Sachs /SRAM, by the vents In the hub shell, finished in dull grey, SA were kinda of polished.
Another way to tell for sure, if the bike had ever been converted from SA to SRAM on the rear there will be a widget ,a spacer plate to fit the Sachs, the reactor arms were a different size.
Yours are Sachs/ SRAM for sure.

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Sachs / SRAM, I get the 2 confused, no markings, then you can identify by the indicator rod, the Sturmey has a chain and a knurled nut, the Sachs/ SRAM torpedo has a grooved indicator rod, which has a sprung loaded ratchet on it ,some had a 'clickbox' fitting on it, with a red widget which was rather fragile, those would have been 5 speed hubs, and very unreliable, i do hope you haven't one of those, the Torpedo unit was ok, but a bit of bugger to keep adjusted, if run out of kilter they fail, i sincerely hope yours is good.
The Sturmey was bulletproof, rarely went wrong.
Looking at you pics I can tell that's Sachs /SRAM, by the vents In the hub shell, finished in dull grey, SA were kinda of polished.
Another way to tell for sure, if the bike had ever been converted from SA to SRAM on the rear there will be a widget ,a spacer plate to fit the Sachs, the reactor arms were a different size.
Yours are Sachs/ SRAM for sure.

Thankyou, very informative. Mine is definitely 3 speed which is more than enough for canal and old rail route riding. Going to order a few spokes after one snapped the other night.

Top Bottom