Parkride not Parkrun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Before every parkrun there is a standard announcement which is treated with as much reverence as the flight attendant’s safety announcement on a plane. The jist being that this is not a race and we do not have sole use of the park, so must give way to other park users.
which everybody knows is bull shoot and witters on about their times and ranking. No amount of standing at the front of a race saying "this is not a race" stops it being a race. They'd have to actually declassify racers and more.

ParkRun is the running equivalent of Strava, so that makes ParkRide the cycling equivalent of Strava. Oh, wait. 🤡

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
which everybody knows is bull shoot and witters on about their times and ranking. No amount of standing at the front of a race saying "this is not a race" stops it being a race. They'd have to actually declassify racers and more.

ParkRun is the running equivalent of Strava, so that makes ParkRide the cycling equivalent of Strava. Oh, wait. 🤡

Actually the running equivalent of Strava is ... er ... Strava.

PaulSB

Squire
The organisers don't mention parks for this venture but trails. I'm not sure the concerns about large enough parks or the public highway are relevant.

As I've organised and been involved in organising TTs, club hill climbs etc. all of which take place on the public highway I can confirm @Dogtrousers view that there is a whole bunch of relatively complex rules to comply with. Most entrants have no idea of the hoops organisers jump through.

I ride a lot of gravel. Locally to put together a 20km gravel route would involve the public highway. I can't see this becoming a country wide event.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO

parkrun is nothing like Strava.

Actually the running equivalent of Strava is ... er ... Strava.

Yup. It was created for runners!

AndyRM

XOXO
Both are competitive racing pretending not to be in order to circumvent the usual restrictions on racing on public paths. It's amazing both have been allowed to continue this long.

There's nothing competitive about it, although some people are quite keen to get certain volunteering positions based on what suits them.

I agree that it's amazing parkrun has gone on for as long and is so popular.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Both are competitive racing pretending not to be in order to circumvent the usual restrictions on racing on public paths. It's amazing both have been allowed to continue this long.

absolute codswallop. Strava segments has brought out some very silly competitive "racing aspects" Parkrun is all about beating your previous times, ie.e only racing yourself (and for some ticking off multiple locations to run in etc.)

I strongly suspect you've never done a parkrun

AndyRM

XOXO
Do you really see nothing competitive in handing out a number 1 token to the winner, publishing the times, running points competitions, and letting people compare age group rankings?

Nope. Because that's not what anything to do with parkrun is about.

The tokens are mainly so we know that we've left nobody out on the course.

The times are so that people who are interested and are looking to improve their running times - it's a useful indicator.

The "points competition" is nothing of the sort, it's just a way of tallying how many runs you've done so you get a "milestone" shirt. Some people care, some do not.

See above for timing comparisons.

It's the most inclusive and accessible organised walk/run/jog/wheel event going. I struggle to see why anyone has an issue with it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Nope. Because that's not what anything to do with parkrun is about.
And yet, the parkrun organisers do nothing to discourage it beyond the surrealist performance of denying that the race is a race.

With each of these, you seem to have missed the point that's making it race-like, maybe accidentally:
The tokens are mainly so we know that we've left nobody out on the course.
That only requires counting them out and counting them back in. There's no need to hand a chip emblazoned with a 1 to the first finisher.

The times are so that people who are interested and are looking to improve their running times - it's a useful indicator.
That doesn't require the lists to be published or ranked. Just give them to the runners.

The "points competition" is nothing of the sort, it's just a way of tallying how many runs you've done so you get a "milestone" shirt. Some people care, some do not.
Again, no need to publish lists. Definitely no need to have shirts and trophies for it. https://rikroadrunner.com/2015/10/02/3-reasons-why-i-won-parkrun-annual-male-points-competition/

It's the most inclusive and accessible organised walk/run/jog/wheel event going. I struggle to see why anyone has an issue with it.
It's hypocritical, a race that says it isn't a race, allowed to take over public parks for an hour a week without the marshalling and diversions required of other races, plus it encourages the more foolish to race around the park at other times of the week for practice or training, sometimes helped by park keepers installing permanent start, finish and route marker posts. It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt and, when it catches the media's eye (as it's already happened: I know at least one person injured by a parkrunner), I wonder who else will be hit by the backlash. Probably cyclists.

Maybe there's also some bemusement on my part: I bet parkride won't be allowed the same latitude because joggers are harmless nutters in the media while cyclists are evil incarnate.

Top Bottom