Paris-Roubaix **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
Let's just say this. For a rider P-R is a hellish chaos a lot of the time, and a fight for position and survival. The cars are often a long way back, the dust on a dry day leaves you gasping and dry, the mud on a wet day will make you crash (everyone does), you will get punctures at the wrong moment and wait minutes for a wheel, trying to ride a flat tub over pave is no fun. There are lunatic - often drunk - fans, who leap out of the way at the last minute and show no respect. In among that lot, your team is trying to win the bike race! Just to finish is something, it's almost a rite of passage, as getting round a GT is to stage race riders. I thought Sunday's race was brilliant, it simply was not possible to work out the likely outcome, except that OPQS should have got the win because of their numbers in the final, which they did. The Wiggins/Thomas rides were out of the top drawer. I'll bet the chat inside the last 20km was "I'm knackered, how about you?" "Me too". "One more go if we can manage and to cover OPQS?" "OK". Then Mr T went and spoiled the party, great move, and nobody was willing to leave it all on the road just before the stadium. Chess on the road, we all lose, T wins. For Sky, two in the top ten is a good result considering that EBH had some bad luck and it played out that probably the two strongest rouleurs were in the group. They could not afford to chance a sprint, as evidenced by places 7 and 9. The option was an attack from G, chased down, attack at 5km to go by Brad, and see what happens. BUT you have to have good legs at that point and that was perhaps not the case. Nobody else wanted to ride in that last 5km either. There is some interesting analysis on here, the one thing sure is that when you have been on your backside a couple of times, are covered in dust/mud (take your pick), knackered, then it takes a very clear head to be a potential winner, which is something that can be a challenge. A bit of the "draining the swamp/up to the neck in alligators" proverb describes it best.
It's often very quiet in the showers afterwards, everyone is more or less empty. I've even seen experienced motos staring into space having survived one.
Just to be clear, there is NEVER such a thing as a dull P-R, just like there is never a dull L-B-L, or RVV. Not for those involved, anyway, in any capacity.

The Couch

Über Member
Just to be clear, there is NEVER such a thing as a dull P-R, just like there is never a dull L-B-L, or RVV. Not for those involved, anyway, in any capacity.
Since this might be pointed towards my earlier comment... :smile:

Indeed inside the race, it's not dull at all.
The Sporza reporter on the bike said so, that's it's absolutely fascinating to see the back of the race (flat after flat after flat for often the same riders, and that's not even including the equipment failures or crashes)

I just find that from my (lazy ass) spectator point of view this race was not so great, because of the strong men/favourites perhaps waiting too long and/or not wanting to ride in-between the secteurs.

Definitely no offence meant to anybody's performance on the day.

Hont

Guru
I just find that from my (lazy ass) spectator point of view this race was not so great, because of the strong men/favourites perhaps waiting too long and/or not wanting to ride in-between the secteurs.

I thought it was one of the better recent editions, but I'm not implying that your opinion is wrong, just that I saw it differently. The move by Boonen at 60km out meant that the serious action started quite early. The race was on for most of that time as the selection did not form until close to the end. Terpstra's late move was not immediately obvious as being the winning one.

It was far better than watching Cancellara be off the front for 40km easily distancing a disorganised chase (2010) or Boonen being off the front for 40km easily distancing a disorganised chase (2012). And better than a small group forming with some distance to go where it was obvious who was going to win the sprint (2008, 2013)

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Did anyone else spot the huge steaming pile of manure that a farmer had left right at the side of one of the roughest sections of cobbles?
Quite near the closing stages, they showed a shot from the front where a Sky rider in the background was seen veering suddenly off the road and through a crowd of people. This could have been way worse, as it was just a few yards after the manure.:eek: This was almost material for the greatest ever "What Happens Next?" round in A Question of Sport.:laugh:

thom

____
Did anyone else spot the huge steaming pile of manure that a farmer had left right at the side of one of the roughest sections of cobbles?
Quite near the closing stages, they showed a shot from the front where a Sky rider in the background was seen veering suddenly off the road and through a crowd of people. This could have been way worse, as it was just a few yards after the manure.:eek: This was almost material for the greatest ever "What Happens Next?" round in A Question of Sport.:laugh:
see the video in : http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/paris-roubaix-spoilers.153583/post-3026742

oldroadman

Veteran
I noticed that too, later in the day got a call from an old mate who noted that this was a feature (a very long time ago) of a race called "Essex Trophy" which had lots of rough sections on farm roads. A bit like Cicle Classic but slightly better surfaced sections, he said. Anyway, one dirt farm road was dead straight apart from taking a curve round a big steaming pile of, er, fertiliser. So guys, someone in the UK did it first, it seems!

U

User169

OK. Given that the thread has degenerated. Fat nobber giving it the beans in Roubaix velodrome on Saturday..:rolleyes:

20756468.jpg

Top Bottom