Pacific Rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Over the weekend I decided to be 12 years old again and watched Pacific Rim at my local Vue. Despite having a title that might imply some sort of 'adult' theme, think Godzilla / Power Rangers / Tranformers all rolled into one and you get the idea.

It's that classic tale of giant robots controlled by humans doing battle with alien monsters living in the depths of the ocean who are intent on world domination. It won't win any Oscars but if you fancy an action packed, fast paced monster movie this one hits the spot ..... especiallly if you're a big kid at heart.

Maz

Guru
I'll be going to watch it.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's that classic tale of giant robots controlled by humans doing battle with alien monsters living in the depths of the ocean who are intent on world domination.
Haven't we had enough films about giant robots controlled by humans doing battle with alien monsters living in the depths of the ocean who are intent on world domination?

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
All this fuss over a $200 million toy ad. I can't understand why Del Torro left The Hobbit for this junk. If cool is the triumph of style over content then awesome is the triumph of scale over substance. This is just Transformers/Power Rangers meets Godzilla/Every Japanese monster flick . It's derivative (Avatar gets ripped off), unoriginal comic book SF which is just a thin plot stringing big action sequences together. Yaaaawwn!.

Of all the fabulous SF/fantasy novels that could be adapted with todays CGI, all they can come up with is this dross. Ironically, the two men responsible more than others for inventing the summer blockbuster - Spielberg & Lucas - have recently had a dig at movies like this which have overblown budgets for what is just a CGI fight-fest.

SPOLIER ALERT:
:stop:
The inter-dimensional portal gets destroyed by a nuke. Couldn't they have done this to begin with and spared us this dull movie??.

Anyway, for fans of Japanese cinema, at loooong last, they've done a live action Gatchaman (aka Battle of the Planets):

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
All this fuss over a $200 million toy ad. I can't understand why Del Torro left The Hobbit for this junk.
He is was a big fan of this type of movie.

This is just Transformers/Power Rangers meets Godzilla/Every Japanese monster flick . It's derivative (Avatar gets ripped off), unoriginal comic book SF which is just a thin plot stringing big action sequences together. Yaaaawwn!.

You could level a similar criticism against pretty much any movie, I would say it is better than any of those movies you name including Avatar. Where did it rip Avatar off btw?

Of all the fabulous SF/fantasy novels that could be adapted with todays CGI, all they can come up with is this dross. Ironically, the two men responsible more than others for inventing the summer blockbuster - Spielberg & Lucas - have recently had a dig at movies like this which have overblown budgets for what is just a CGI fight-fest.
A CGI fight fest is a bad thing? :-D It had plenty of CGI because its kind of impossible to have done it any other way, however a lot of the sets were real, ie the cockpits.

I think that's a bit harsh anyway, there was a lot more to it than that and I thought it was well acted and I actually liked most of the characters.

MarkF

Guru
CGI? I know it's not real, therefore there is no "spectacle" for me. I think these films are just awful, what's left to OMG blow up? Didn't studios recently admit that the current big budget films were dumbed right down, to ensure minimal chance of confusing the lemming like world wide masses? Everybody understands an explosion, so why bother with complicated stuff .........like dialogue? I think they have similarly stupid blockbusters, either made or financed for summer release, several years in advance of now.

I watched Bombom El Perro at the weekend, now that is a proper film, "In Patagonia, a mechanic who dreams of a different life starts to think big after his adopted pup wins first prize at a local dog show". ^_^

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Avatar is one of the biggest rip-off fests ever! FernGully, Dances with Wolves, Last Samurai...
not seen avatar... but on seeing the trailer i thought "Last of the Mohecans in space".

Not even heard of Pacific Rim until now... but it might be half decent as I've not seen it advertised on the side of a bus*.

*in my experience, most films that i see advertised on the side of a bus are utter, utter pants.

Top Bottom