Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
H All,
I have a 2017 Gain D30 (gravel bike w/ drop bars), and tho I've used it 2 years I can't stand the one-button Iwoc controller. My wife has a ~2019 with flat bars and the Trio switch, so I'd like to add that. I'm also curious about the LEV display and Garmin 830/1050/etc... So I have a few questions. BTW, I have ZERO patience with phone apps requiring cloud accounts, so I don't use the ebikemotion/Mahale App.

1: So far my research leads me to believe I can add a Y-cable and ANT+ dongle in the top bar. That will support a LEV display and/or/both a Garmin. Yes?

2: Although the Trio switch is intended for flat bars, electrically is it compatible? Just use a Y-cable? I realize I'll have to tear down one side of my drop bars (prob left) to get it up next to the neck (and confirm the bar cross-section diameter). A Trio controller switch is more important to me than the ANT+ and LEV display... just a dumb switch to relive me of the 1-button Iwoc control. I guess the LEV display would give me a up/down power assist control, but that little Trio switch is so darn handy!

3: Is there any reason I cant add both? Two Y-cables to add both the Trio AND the ANT+ dongle, and have a Trio switch, LEV display, and Garmin all working in unison? The cost isn't prohibitively expensive to give it a try, I just thought I'd ask here in case this is a known quantity, or to avoid damaging something if electrically, if that'd be the result.

Thanks everyone!

Can't help I'm afraid. I use a dedicated phone and the app. Works fine most of the time. I believe there now bar mounted buttons to control assistance levels. Have a look at the Mahle website.

Dadam

Über Member
H All,
I have a 2017 Gain D30 (gravel bike w/ drop bars), and tho I've used it 2 years I can't stand the one-button Iwoc controller. My wife has a ~2019 with flat bars and the Trio switch, so I'd like to add that. I'm also curious about the LEV display and Garmin 830/1050/etc... So I have a few questions. BTW, I have ZERO patience with phone apps requiring cloud accounts, so I don't use the ebikemotion/Mahale App.

1: So far my research leads me to believe I can add a Y-cable and ANT+ dongle in the top bar. That will support a LEV display and/or/both a Garmin. Yes?

2: Although the Trio switch is intended for flat bars, electrically is it compatible? Just use a Y-cable? I realize I'll have to tear down one side of my drop bars (prob left) to get it up next to the neck (and confirm the bar cross-section diameter). A Trio controller switch is more important to me than the ANT+ and LEV display... just a dumb switch to relive me of the 1-button Iwoc control. I guess the LEV display would give me a up/down power assist control, but that little Trio switch is so darn handy!

3: Is there any reason I cant add both? Two Y-cables to add both the Trio AND the ANT+ dongle, and have a Trio switch, LEV display, and Garmin all working in unison? The cost isn't prohibitively expensive to give it a try, I just thought I'd ask here in case this is a known quantity, or to avoid damaging something if electrically, if that'd be the result.

Thanks everyone!

I understand that if you add the dongle, it adds ANT+/LEV connectivity so you should be able to connect multiple devices. My 2022 Gain D40 came with the "OC ANT+/LEV" ("Coachsmart") controller and my Garmin connects at the same time. I only have the 530 so can't change assist levels on the Garmin but can look at battery and assist levels on both the Coachsmart controller and the Garmin at the same time. If you had the 830 I imagine you could use either to change assist level.

Reading the manual, if you install the Trio+ switch (instead of the basic Trio), it comes with the ANT+/LEV connectivity so you'd be able to connect whatever compatible wireless controllers or computers you like. I assume you'd need the Y cable to do this but this is in the top tube not the bars. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2086462/Orbea-Dongle-AntPluslev-Iwoc-Trio.html?page=17#manual

1720523839120.png

1720523861242.png

Chislenko

Veteran
Just out of interest is there an off position on a Gain or just the three levels meaning some form of assistance is always on at less than the cut out speed.

Chislenko

Veteran
^This, level 0 shown on the app as 'You'. Levels 1,2, and 3 can be adjusted for % assistance given in each level.

Another question then, do you have to use the app or can you just ride it "straight out of the box" using the buttons on the top tube.

Just think it all sounds so complicated for a technophobe like myself!

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Another question then, do you have to use the app or can you just ride it "straight out of the box" using the buttons on the top tube.

- "straight out of the box". Takes a bit of getting used to, but IMO no more than using old school down-tube gear levers. You don't have to use the app, or any other computer such as Garmin etc, but if you do you can change levels with them rather than the 'Iwoc' top tube button. Some newer X35 and X20 bikes (and straight bar bikes) have level changing via handlebar devices.

Dadam

Über Member

App isn't necessary at all. You can use it while riding: record rides and change the assist levels if you want (I don't use it for that). It also lets you view data from the battery and controller, tweak the assist levels and trace the bike's GPS if it gets nicked.

richtea

I never use the app on a ride.
And I'm an app developer.:blink:

I'm sure it's useful to some, but the only thing I've used it for is to check the mileage on a secondhand bike, before buying it.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

I never use the app on a ride.
And I'm an app developer.:blink:

I'm sure it's useful to some, but the only thing I've used it for is to check the mileage on a secondhand bike, before buying it.

I can't risk running out of battery - it happened twice when I first had the bike, before I installed the app, and it was a very painful experience. :thumbsdown:

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Don't you have the display or a connected cycle computer? Either will give percentage battery charge.

At that time, no. Hardly used a mobile either. I only ever used a simple bike computer - speed, distance, average speed and so on. Never felt a need for anything more. I'd still rather use maps and my memory for route planning! :okay:

I can't risk running out of battery - it happened twice when I first had the bike, before I installed the app, and it was a very painful experience. :thumbsdown:

I have heard this before
I think it must depend on the specific drive system
I have run out of electrons a few times and it just means riding home like a normal - but heavy - bike
no extra resistance that I can notice - duplicated by turning the pedals by hand in the garden - the wheels just spin normally and slow down normally

Other people seem to say their bike has significant resistance

I think it needs to be on the list of thing to check for anyone buying an ebike

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

I have heard this before
I think it must depend on the specific drive system
I have run out of electrons a few times and it just means riding home like a normal - but heavy - bike
no extra resistance that I can notice - duplicated by turning the pedals by hand in the garden - the wheels just spin normally and slow down normally

Other people seem to say their bike has significant resistance

I think it needs to be on the list of thing to check for anyone buying an ebike

As I've probably said before I have a medical need for assisted cycling, I can't ride a 'normal' road bike for more than 1 or 2 flat miles, even my 8kg Rose, otherwise I'd still be riding it and not an ebike. So running out of battery is a big problem for me! The introduction of the Orbea Gain in 2017/18 was a lifesaver for me as that was the period I was beginning to find riding was becoming very difficult and I was faced with the prospect of having to stop cycling altogether.

Last edited:
Top Bottom