One piece carbon Bar / Stem - normal lifespan?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l4dva

Guru
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a new gravel bike, however i noticed on the warrantee document for the bike that they recommend replacing the carbon bar/stem every 2 years!!

According to chatgpt this is normal and a number of brands have the same recommendations - with rationale being the risk of failure etc. which i get but I've been riding the same carbon road bike for 16 years and its never let me down so why would a handle bar be any different?

Are they being overly cautious (covering there backs just incase?) or do bike owners accept the additional cost to replace expensive carbon bars/stems every 2 years?

Thanks

Drago

Legendary Member
We used to replace heavily used alu MTB bars every two years because failure did sometimes happen.

It's probably just about the nastiest component you could have spontaneously fail at speed, so why second guess the manufacturer?

Some things just aren't worth gambling your face - or worse - on.

If you know better and believe the minimal cash saving is worth the risk then be my guest. You may be fine for two decades, or in a tongue operated eledtric wheelchair after three years - the difficulty is that you won't ever know prior to each ride which it's going to be.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
As someone who's of the opinion that the industry has consistantly downplayed the potentially safety-critical shortcomings of CFRP, if they're actively suggesting / implying risk of failure, I'd not be arguing..

Could just be a scaremongering cash-grab (and I'm surprised they're lifed in terms of age rather than distance) but I'd not take the risk.

In any case, sod buying a new set of bars every two years - that's utterly ridiculous.

I‘ve seen a customer walk into the shop with a set of carbon bars which broke because a gust of wind blew the bike over when the owner left it leaning against his car. $550 down the toilet in seconds and there’s been several through the shop for replacement due to damage from some pretty minor spills… some up to $900 a set!

I ran my crash damaged aluminum bars for a couple of years before I finally got around to replacing them and it was more because they looked like crap on an otherwise lovely bike than from any fear that they would fail.

I think carbon bars outside of high end racing applications is just a waste of money.

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
very good points.

but if the material is the issue, then surely the other carbon components would come with the same recommendation to replace after two years as well? like the frame/forks for example? if those failed at high speed I'm sure the injuries wouldn't be very pleasant either

very good points.

but if the material is the issue, then surely the other carbon components would come with the same recommendation to replace after two years as well? like the frame/forks for example? if those failed at high speed I'm sure the injuries wouldn't be very pleasant either

I don't think it is an inherent material fault, but manufacturers pushing the boundaries in an attempt to save weight. That is particularly dangerous on bars and stem in view of the amount of force that goes through them.

Mr Celine

Discordian
very good points.

That reminds me, the carbon forks on my Spesh Sirrus were supposed to be replaced after two years.
I ought to be on my ninth pair by now. But there's nothing wrong with the originals apart from the inevitable scuffs and scrapes.

Top Bottom