One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Different kinds of sublime on the High Street today.
View attachment 642279

View attachment 642278

Blimey that’s a rarity, for obvious reasons, the last one I saw was on a campsite in Potsdam 14 years ago, the engine note, ( I’m being kind as they sounded like they were just about to implode) was instantly recognisable, the look on my sons face as it rattled coughed and wheezed it’s way past was priceless, being LHD I wonder if it’s complete with a DDR sticker on the back

Hornchurch

Blimey that’s a rarity, for obvious reasons, the last one I saw was on a campsite in Potsdam 14 years ago, the engine note, ( I’m being kind as they sounded like they were just about to implode) was instantly recognisable, the look on my sons face as it rattled coughed and wheezed it’s way past was priceless, being LHD I wonder if it’s complete with a DDR sticker on the back

I had to laugh, as I saw "the first attachment" & then tried to envision the Bentley "rattling coughing and wheezing" ^_^

Then I saw the 2nd-attachment & the Wartburg hove into view !

Back in the 1980's, my next-door neighbour, Charlie.B had a succession of "whacky vehicles".

Daf.33 Variomatic , FX4 Taxi (arguably among the 1st, it was a 'J'-Reg 1970), Moskvitch & TWO Wartburgs !

I drove "the better one of the two" (& that's NOT saying much) - The 'driver' was a saloon & his 'spare-parts', an estate

The plain Gloss-paint (1976?), had long since faded & it had that "powdery patina" that sun-bleached cars always have.

As a result, it was like a medium darkish "Cobalt-Blue"

It sounded like a BAD Suzuki 'water-kettle' (GT.750), with the ignition-points all 'out of whack'

Really surprised me that it ran quite well, once above 15mph

Am told (at the time), that it WOULD run on both "peanut-oil" & "chip-shop-fat-oil" - No wonder it sounded SO BAD

A pack of dog$hit had a higher re-sale value (at the time), but nonetheless, it still got Charlie "from A to B"

His YELLOW DAF.33 variomatic was an even worse car (in MY opinion) & it literally felt "like a rubber-band" = GHASTLY ☢️

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The SAAB 96 had pretty much the same engine as the Wartburg but boy did they sing.
When I worked at the Garage we had a customer who brought one in once or twice a year for servicing, the mechanics nearly came to blows over who worked on it but more who got to 'test drive' it afterwards, imagine this 'howling' through Leicester city centre

View: https://youtu.be/YTuC-nc-BCg

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
See it all the time on my weekly womble down to the shops, and I always cast it a fond glance, but boy was it something to see this morning...

1651316635764.png

What a car! They don't make 'em like that anymore....and they never will.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Nice old school Pug, but why the stupid number plate? See “trivial things that annoy me”. :angry:

DRM

Guru
Nice old school Pug, but why the stupid number plate? See “trivial things that annoy me”. :angry:

Probably because it was registered in Northern Ireland, and seen as the OP is in Ireland, I’m guessing the car show was somewhere in Ireland, and a fair few of the others such as the Sunbeam Rapier were wearing NI reg numbers, why on earth should a Northern Irish plate upset you?

Last edited:
Top Bottom