Newbie here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Welcome, your first 100 is special

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
:welcome: . I'll have to do a few laps of Richmond Park, one of these fine days, because it sounds like a pleasant enough place to cycle... Getting there is the toughest part! :laugh:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi and Welcome.

For me, doing laps of anything (unless its a track and i'm racing) seems a really hard way to put miles under my wheels. I would suggest if you want to get your miles up towards a 100 miler then do the opposite. ride some place and dont ride back...get the train home instead.

The thrill in not knowing what's coming keeps the ride fresh and more enjoyable. When I was training for a big tour last year, I used to head off to the coast and if I got fed up would bail and train it home. Sometimes I didn't get bored and ended up riding all day and doing 100 miles without even planning to.

also, try to share the big rides with friends (I appreciate that looking for ride buddies is one of the reasons you are positing), add plenty of stops for cake and coffee and the whole thing takes on a different perspective.

Those sportives that you mention, or perhaps even group rides to the coast (check out the FNRTTC) are also a good way to familiarise yourself with higher mileage.

Good luck

Hi All,

I have been commuting for about 7 years now and have gradually become more interested in things like Sportives and all the associated kit that goes with it. I am hoping to do 100miles for the 1st time in 2015. My longest ride was 100km in the Chilterns Evans sportive. I am now trying to do a few laps of Richmond Park when I get the chance at the weekend. If anyone is in the area and doesn't mind a very average rider tagging along I would be more than happy to join up.

Cheers
Welcome to CC

Bryony

Veteran
:welcome:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
:welcome: to CC.
I've never cycled around Richmond Park, in fact I'm not too sure where it is. Living in the provinces does that.
Happy cycling. I am sure that you will do well in your 100 miler in May.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
If you can do 100k then you should be OK for 100miles. Just go steady and remember to keep eating and drinking so you don't cramp up or hit the bonk.

Top Bottom