New to mountain biking, what bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tankengine

Hi guys,
Just wondering if I can pick your brains :smile:
Looking at buying a mountain bike, around 500 £ budget. Any brand in particular I should be looking at in that price range?? Don't know a lot about MTB (been riding road for about yr ), anything I should be looking for in the specs?

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
If there's a Decathlon near you, you could do much worse than check out their Rockrider 8.1
Good mid range SRAM/Deore drivetrain, Rockshox recon front suspension. Hydraulic brakes, and a strong but reasonably light frame.

Otherwise there are similar bikes from Giant/GT/Specialized all around that price point - although with reduced spec. Many of these bikes have Suntour forks which usually leave quite a lot to be desired.... or cheaper mechanical disk brakes ( which whilst OK wont be a patch on the hydraulics).

Big Nick

The Rockrider or the Voodoo Bizango seem to get the vote from the reviewers at this price point but it depends what you want the bike for primarily?

Many seem to want mountain bikes when all their usage will be on bad minor roads where you'd be far better off with a road biased hybrid in reality.
If you're wanting a bike for cross country off road trails then a hardtail would fit the bill though better than a hybrid

Personally I've just ordered a Cube Acid which is a bit over the price you've quoted but I just liked everything about the bike

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tankengine

Tankengine

If there's a Decathlon near you, you could do much worse than check out their Rockrider 8.1
Good mid range SRAM/Deore drivetrain, Rockshox recon front suspension. Hydraulic brakes, and a strong but reasonably light frame.

Otherwise there are similar bikes from Giant/GT/Specialized all around that price point - although with reduced spec. Many of these bikes have Suntour forks which usually leave quite a lot to be desired.... or cheaper mechanical disk brakes ( which whilst OK wont be a patch on the hydraulics).

Cool, I hadn't thought of decathlon, I'll have a look. What kind of forks should I be looking for if not sun tour?? Or is that pretty much standard at this price range?

Looks good! Can't post or message the guy though...

The Rockrider or the Voodoo Bizango seem to get the vote from the reviewers at this price point but it depends what you want the bike for primarily?

Many seem to want mountain bikes when all their usage will be on bad minor roads where you'd be far better off with a road biased hybrid in reality.
If you're wanting a bike for cross country off road trails then a hardtail would fit the bill though better than a hybrid

Personally I've just ordered a Cube Acid which is a bit over the price you've quoted but I just liked everything about the bike

Cool that's good to know. Looking to get off road really and have a go at something different. I'm used to some fairly crappy pothole mad/bumpy roads on the road bike, don't find that too much of an issue.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hi sam , is there a way I can message you to see pics? Cheers!
As Cubist said above, things such as sending private messages become available when you have a few more posts - so have a read around the forum, say a few things elsewhere, and you'll soon get your post count high enough to allow these things.

OP
OP
Tankengine

Tankengine

As Cubist said above, things such as sending private messages become available when you have a few more posts - so have a read around the forum, say a few things elsewhere, and you'll soon get your post count high enough to allow these things.

Ah right, thanks guys will do :smile:

Top Bottom