New tip find project.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A tenner sees me home with a Marin San Rafael of approximately the right size. Seat post looks...challenging, but everything else seems worthwhile except the whee, which are not salvageable.
If seat post is not too uncooperative, will try transferring stuff from the Scott, which I'm not getting on with.
Triple-butted Tange cromo, 13kg as-is, will certainly knock a kilo or two off that if all goes well.

Gunk

Guru
Spray some plusgas between the post and frame, leave it overnight, remove the wheels, stick the seatpost in a vice and use the frame as leverage. Usually works!

Spray some plusgas between the post and frame, leave it overnight, remove the wheels, stick the seatpost in a vice and use the frame as leverage. Usually works!

Plusgas incoming, GT85 applied as a starter, and it might be a day or three before I can get to grips with it. Live in a 1st-floor flat, so vices etc not remotely an option! I'll probably try a lever clamped on to the saddle clamp and see what happens. Which might well be nothing!

If that's a 1990s steel Marin you have got yourself a great bike.

I love my 1994 Marin Stinson. It's a great ride.

Pictures please...
It may be early 90s. Has a quill stem, which does move! What made me go for it is having 700c (typo!) wheels and already a seemingly good-spec low-tooth-count triple chainring.
Has Shimano SLX components, suggesting 1989/90 era.

Last edited:

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
I have two Marins of similar vintage a Bear Valley owned from new and is awaiting a mechanical overhaul after all the abuse it has had .
And a Palasides trail that I acquired last year which is in nearly mint condition compared to the Bear valley .
I have always lusted after a Marin steel road bike from the same era but alas never found one yet.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
It may be early 90s. Has a quill stem, which does move! What made me go for it is having 700x wheels and already a seemingly good-spec low-tooth-count triple chainring.

700x wheels now that's different

Top Bottom