New cover of Charlie and the Chocolate factory

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oooh, creepy or what. What is wrong with adults being seen reading kid's books anyway?.

I was travelling and bought Terry Pratchett's "Truckers" and giggled / laughed through the journey.

Not until the end when I read the credits did I realise it was a children's book.... but didn't stop me buying and reading the rest of the trilogy

Would it be really pedantic to point out that the words "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" on the cover are a bit of a give-away as to the contents?

How long before they give it a more "adult" title as well?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Would it be really pedantic to point out that the words "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" on the cover are a bit of a give-away as to the contents?

How long before they give it a more "adult" title as well?
Charles and the confectionery manufacturing plant?

Why does that child in the picture look so creepy and old. It's like the hair of a 30 year old or something but with a nearly doll like face. Horrible.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I know where I have seen creepy children like that. I caught the tail end of some TV programme about american child beauty pageants and the children all looked like that. Very sinister.
Yip, I've seen those programmes too. I don't like it - it's like the parents are living what they want through the kids. Ugh!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Being lefty handed, I'm rather offended at the derogatory use of the word 'sinister'. :angry:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Being lefty handed, I'm rather offended at the derogatory use of the word 'sinister'. :angry:
I'm a lefty too and haven't offended myself.

sinister
adjective
1.threatening or portending evil, harm, or trouble; ominous: a sinister remark.
2.bad, evil, base, or wicked; fell: his sinister purposes.
3.unfortunate; disastrous; unfavorable: a sinister accident.
4.of or on the left side; left.
5.Heraldry. noting the side of an escutcheon or achievement of arms that is to the left of the bearer (opposed to dexter ).

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
To a kid it probably isn't terribly wrong (as Mort says, they probably think it is Verucca Salt, although it might be a little scary to young children), its just that you are all adults and are reading more into it, I mean, what a bunch of pervs we have on here!!

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I for one find it creepy because of the 'village of the damned' look in her eyes, now that is a scary book/film also by the same writer as 'the day of the triffids

AndyRM

XOXO
To a kid it probably isn't terribly wrong (as Mort says, they probably think it is Verucca Salt, although it might be a little scary to young children), its just that you are all adults and are reading more into it, I mean, what a bunch of pervs we have on here!! :whistle:

This. I don't think it's a sexualised image at all. It's pretty disturbing, but then so is the entire concept of the book, which as I read it is about a man who uses children as the secret ingredient to make his chocolate delicious.

I always thought Johnny Depp in the remake was made to rather look like everyone's favourite paedophile , Michael Jackson

Top Bottom