New boy here. Help I'm surrounded by hills!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Hi all.
I grew up in the Fens, and spent my youth cycling the flatlands with hardly a pimple to climb up.
Stopped cycling when I discovered engines and girls.
Moved oop norf 12 years ago, now living in a valley adjacent to Pendle Hill.
I got back into cycling a couple of years ago, all because I found I was crap at riding classic trials bikes.
I broke my ankle and took to bicycles to build up strength in the damaged joint.
Started off with a Giant MTB, then bought a Trek Hybrid. Earlier this year I bought my first road bike -Merida Ride 94 (carbon frame). Gonna sell the MTB and hybrid as I've just bought a Raleigh RX Comp (63rd birthday present) to use over the winter.
So, I'm currently trying to improve fitness by getting out several times a week doing quite short rides. They're quite intense though as whichever way I ride from home I have a 15% climb to tackle within 100 yards from my door. No chance to get these old legs warmed up first!
Welcome aboard, similar story here, brought up and got the cycling bug living in and around Cambridge & St Ives, then moved to the North East & now North West and haven't had a flat ride since quitting Bluntisham in 1979 :smile:. It never gets easier but you go further or faster.

OP
OP
Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I raced grasstrack cars at the show ground for 3 years.
Ford Anglia 100E, Austin Westminster and Sunbeam Rapier. Early '70s.
Small world innit?

I raced grasstrack cars at the show ground for 3 years.
Ford Anglia 100E, Austin Westminster and Sunbeam Rapier. Early '70s.
Small world innit?

Of topic.... We were in the St John Ambulance Caravan in the centre of the track!

Have some fond memories of those days from 1971 - to when I joined the RN in 1976

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I live oop in sunny [??] Durham and seem to have a lot of hill here too. One thought - don't try to be too fast just let the low gear take the strain. I used to try to keep going at the same pace up as on the flat now I just plod along and life is much easier.
PS - like you avatar - SWM ?
Durham is all hill. Even the flat bits.

Top Bottom