Need coaster brake shoes for old Soviet bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I may be wrong on this, so please correct me if so.
My understanding of UK law is that there must be two independent braking systems on a bicycle, and both can be on a single wheel.
In theory, you could have a coaster brake and a rear rim brake. You could also have a front drum brake and a front rim brake.
As I say, this could all be incorrect blather on my part.

No you're right 2 independent systems are required in the UK however not in every country. A lot of American bikes only had a rear coaster brake so no handlebar levers or cables which is one reason they weren't sold here (the 'embargo' on American luxury goods after WW2 was another) likewise a lot of Dutch bikes only had rear coaster brakes for that clean 'no cables' look. Mind you anyone who ever rode a rod brake bike with steel rims in the rain will tell you they might as well have had no brakes.

V-CC

A chain-driven bicycle with free-wheel transmission requires independent front and rear brakes to be legal on the public highway.

The law is contained in The Pedal Cycles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1983.

Good luck with that coaster brake!

OP
OP
V

vitataxman

Regular
An update if anyone is interested. I was not able to find replacement shoes for this old Soviet bike. I purchased a used wheel (from local bike co-op) with same rim size and spoke count and with a Shimano CB E110 hub, and was able to lace the E110 onto the existing Soviet rim (bike owner wanted original rim on the bike). Braking was much better, but still not as good as I wanted. I then purchased replacement shoes for the E110. Interestingly, the grooves on the new shoes run perpendicular to the hub, as opposed to the old shoes (see photo). Braking with new shoes is considerably better.

Attachments

• photo of Shimano shoes.png
    photo of Shimano shoes.png
    155.7 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
V

vitataxman

Regular
In case anyone is interested, here is an update. I was unable to locate replacement shoes for this Soviet coaster hub. I purchased a wheel of the same size/spoke-count with a Shimano CB E110 hub and laced the Shimano hub on the Soviet rim (bike owner wanted the original rim). Braking was much better, but not quite good enough. I purchased/installed new shoes for the E110 and the braking improved significantly. Interesingly, the grooves on the new E110 shoes are perpendicular to the hub axis, while the old E110 shoes have grooves parallel to the hub axis.

photo of Shimano shoes.png

Top Bottom