My intro to road bikes at age 45. Ouch!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Take it easy out there this time of the year. Frost and ice on the road will have you off when you least think. As you have found out.
Great that you are so keen to rack up the miles. But do take it easy. The more you ride the more miles you will do. Dont push yourself to do miles just for the sake of it. As the saying goes. 'Smiles not miles'. The miles will come dont you worry.

Must admit i have only covered 5 miles since Christmas eve due mainly to the weather

@Irf either way well done and keep enjoying it

OP
OP
I

Irf

Regular
Cheers gents, heeded the advice and went for a jog today instead. As much as I want to go out and get some mileage in I don't fancy getting knocked over by someone in the fog we've got around here.

OP
OP
I

Irf

Regular
Oh and seeing as I've got more then 5 posts now I think I should be able to post pics.

Here's the bike I've ridden for 400 metres and dropped already :wacko:

20161229_143143_zpsh30m8suj.jpg

May not look much to most on here but in my eyes she's absolutely gorgeous!:wub:

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
Oh and seeing as I've got more then 5 posts now I think I should be able to post pics.

Here's the bike I've ridden for 400 metres and dropped already :wacko:

20161229_143143_zpsh30m8suj.jpg

May not look much to most on here but in my eyes she's absolutely gorgeous!:wub:

It looks like much to me. I've fallen in love with my Giant Escape hybrid and think she (yes she) is the best bike in the world and no-one can tell me otherwise (except myself when I get a road bike). I've always loved Cannondales, I remember them being slightly quirky compared to some bike manufacturers, I seem to remember a bike called a 'Lefty'. I think it was a hardtail MTB with a left hand mounted one piece shock.

Back to your bike, it looks too clean, get it dirty. Also I managed to scratch my bike on it's first outing, once you've had the first scratch the 'cloak of pristineness' has gone and you realise it's a machine that's supposed to be used. Happy riding!

GOAB

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Get to know where the gritters go. Your local cycling club may have a "safety route" that follows gritted roads, if there's a local club with a website may be worth checking ...

OP
OP
I

Irf

Regular
Cheers fellas, just went out for a kind of warm up, get the feel of it ride and I have to admit to mixed feelings. I went on a certain route that I've done before that's 11 miles. Quickest so far is an average of 12mph. First ride on the road bike and I averaged 12.9 mph.

Then there's all the new aches and pains. On my 31 mile ride on the hybrid I had done enough previously that my butt had got used to it but with a new seat it was aching after 5! Hands were something I never had to think about but even they were feeling awkward after a while.

Back was hurting before, my own assumption is that it's because the hybrid is too big, which it is and I'm over stretching. But I'll have to wait a while and see if it gets any worse.

23 size tyres take a bit of getting used to as well, jeez!

The above sounds like it's all negative. It's not. Far from it actually. It was my first ride so of course it's gonna feel awkward.

I could power up hills like never before. I was still just as knackered at the top of them but I obviously got up quicker. On what I call a proper hill (nothing for some obviously) my previous quickest was 3 mins 57. I just went up it at 3 mins 36.

I haven't even used the big cog up front for gong downhill. Having had a fall already my confidence was pretty low so was going fairly slow.

Apologies for going on, just wanted to put my thoughts down. Intro threads don't really mean much anyway I suppose.

Summary, chuffed and excited! ^_^

JD42

Hills are nature's way of culling the weak
Get some 25 tyres on... gives you a bit more confidence in wet etc. Good luck :okay:

keithmac

Guru
I've fallen on ice a few times, use the bike to commute to work so have to put up with it.

I now walk the bike out to the main road before setting off when it's freezing, and ride in the tracks of the car tyres where possible.

OP
OP
I

Irf

Regular
Yeah, lesson learnt. Today being the last day of my holidays was supposed to be a bike ride. I've been alternating jogging and cycling for the last three weeks. But I saw the frost out there and decided being embarrassed by the mrs on a run was better then sliding on my backside down a hill somewhere!

And yes, she made look like the fat old git that I am.

Oh and I had a look, my mistake, the tyres are already a size 25, apologies.

Top Bottom