Mundane News (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sounds like the seasons are a changing :sad: though got a few months yet till SAD kicks in.
Really?? Lucky if so - OH does the SADS thing, and it is a nightmare. And it is about to kick off here - the signs are already showing :sad:
I can get it fairly soon after the end of summer if the weather is gloomy enough, for long enough. I must get my light box rigged up again.

sad-light-box-therapy.jpg

I have been rearranging my room so I can sit in front of the window when at my computer. At least that way, I can make the most of what light does come in. (It's an east-facing window so the light streams in early on but the sun soon moves off down the street, and then round to the wrong side of the house.)

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I can get it fairly soon after the end of summer if the weather is gloomy enough, for long enough. I must get my light box rigged up again.

sad-light-box-therapy.jpg
Out of interest does it make a difference and how long do you need to use it for a day?

ColinJ

Out of interest does it make a difference and how long do you need to use it for a day?
I think it does make a difference. Whether that is a genuine effect, or a placebo effect doesn't really bother me - I feel better and that is what counts!

I usually find a couple of hours enough, preferably around noon. Too late in the day, and I think it confuses the body's biorhythms. (It simulates sunlight, so you don't want a big dose late in the evening.) Overdoing it feels a bit like drinking a couple of mugs of strong coffee or a pint of Coca Cola - I feel a bit 'wired' or agitated.

I am going to experiment with transcranial light therapy. It sounds unlikely that it would work, but there is growing evidence that it does.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Had a quick skim and will read in more detail but I saw it had a remarkable effect on athletes theforee it should have the same effect on us :laugh:

I'm not totally sure that I can say that I am a fully fledged SAD sufferer but I have noticed a fairly distinct change in how I feel as the seasons change and as I have got older.

This winter was really hard but then I am pretty sure it was for many so does that mean we all suffer it or what?

Whatever I am willing to try any options to ensure there are no repeats of this winter's effects on me.

classic33

Leg End Member
Had a quick skim and will read in more detail but I saw it had a remarkable effect on athletes theforee it should have the same effect on us :laugh:

I'm not totally sure that I can say that I am a fully fledged SAD sufferer but I have noticed a fairly distinct change in how I feel as the seasons change and as I have got older.

This winter was really hard but then I am pretty sure it was for many so does that mean we all suffer it or what?

Whatever I am willing to try any options to ensure there are no repeats of this winter's effects on me.
Get out more.
As more of our lives are lived in enclosed spaces, especially the winter months. Doors & windows stay shut & movement from home to work is done in enclosed areas. Work is done under artificial lighting, that doesn't make up for missing what daylight there is.

ColinJ

Get out more.
As more of our lives are lived in enclosed spaces, especially the winter months. Doors & windows stay shut & movement from home to work is done in enclosed areas. Work is done under artificial lighting, that doesn't make up for missing what daylight there is.
I was actually just thinking that a lot of the unpleasant feelings I have suffered from over recent months could be due to the crazy amount of time I am spending indoors since I got ill. I estimate that I spend at least 155 of the 168 hours a week in this room! :thumbsdown:

classic33

Leg End Member
I was actually just thinking that a lot of the unpleasant feelings I have suffered from over recent months could be due to the crazy amount of time I am spending indoors since I got ill. I estimate that I spend at least 155 of the 168 hours a week in this room! :thumbsdown:
When you think about it, we live in heated houses, where doors/widows are seldom open. Unless it gets warm! Outside is avoided at all costs, in the colder weather. And we expect shops, workplaces & other places to be enclosed & warm.
Enclosed areas will nearly always require artificial lighting that is often at the wrong en of the spectrum. These lights also tend to be standard fittings in many homes.

ColinJ

I'm going to try and get out for at least 30 minutes every day! I do go for some decent walks and the odd bike ride, but I don't make the effort to go out every day.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
It's important to get outback much as we each can. I go stir crazy on days when I can't ride and have to inside. I think I have a problem with.enclosed spaces...like a house...give me the open.road and fresh air anytime...erm..except when it's raining!

classic33

Leg End Member
It's important to get outback much as we each can. I go stir crazy on days when I can't ride and have to inside. I think I have a problem with.enclosed spaces...like a house...give me the open.road and fresh air anytime...erm..except when it's raining!
Other than its wet, whats wrong with rain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom