Mudguards for a Triban 3

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

With the Winter rapidly closing in and the weather getting worse :rain: I've decided that I need some mudguards for my bike (Triban 3). As you know, the T3 has ridiculously tight clearances so I'm not sure what mudguards would fit.

I've had bad luck with Crud Roadracer Mk2 mudguards as they were awful to fit and they were always either rattling or rubbing so I chucked 'em away.

I need something that:

• Is reasonably priced
  • Is solid (won't rattle or rub)
  • Can provide full coverage to stop my bike + me getting soaked
  • Isn't too heavy
So does anyone know any mudguards that fit that criteria?

Nope. None will for what you want. Are you on 700x23c or 700x25c tyres? Your only chance will be on 700x23c tyres or to fit new brake calipers with better clearances (and better braking ability).

My solution relies on the pannier rack to hold the rear mudguard in place (which is cut around the brake calipers) and rattles... It is not ideal.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Nope. None will for what you want. Are you on 700x23c or 700x25c tyres? Your only chance will be on 700x23c tyres or to fit new brake calipers with better clearances (and better braking ability).

My solution relies on the pannier rack to hold the rear mudguard in place (which is cut around the brake calipers) and rattles... It is not ideal.

I've got 23c tyres and my brakes are Shimano 105 calipers.

Then I think you are not going to manage anything that meets your criteria. to the best of my knowledge, only the SKS chromoplastics and the crud roadracers mk2's were the only ones that fitted. I have the SKS chromoplastics (but on 700x25c tyres) and they do not go under the calipers and like I said, my solution relies on my pannier rack being on the bike 24/7. (apologies - about to disappear for rest of toda, to drive home).

vickster

Legendary Member
Raceblades might fit but unlikely. Fit a pannier rack and wear washable waterproof overshoes

Or a ribble winter bike n+1 ;)

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

So there's absolutely no mudguards that will fit my bike? I don't believe that.

there are some that will fit but as you previously stated

I've had bad luck with Crud Roadracer Mk2 mudguards as they were awful to fit and they were always either rattling or rubbing so I chucked 'em away.

a little time spent and i found them ideal (allthough i didnt have a T3)

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I have had cruds on my Secteur Elite with 700 x 23c tyres for over 3 years, at first had lots of rubbing problems and that turned out to be the Tektro brake callipers not having enough clearance and I now have 105's which have plenty is clearance.

I also got problems of the screws coming loose which can be fixed with t little bit of light thread lock, but mostly I just check them before I go out and since doing that I have not lost a single screw.

I find that if I take them off (which isn't that often) and need to refit them it takes about 10 - 15 mins to get them set up properly then I just forget them.

The do the job which is stopping me getting sprayed with water when it rains ............. simples .............. :thumbsup:

Duckehhh

I have cruds on my t3, stock brakes. No rattling or rubbing. Just takes patience setting them up. Or slight mods. I had to remove the nose piece of the front guard as that was rubbing. And it doesn't splash from there anyway. And the rear guard. I didn't thread it under/behind the calliper like the front/instructions. Instead used two cable ties, one loop around the guard. Another through the caliper and that first loop.

G3CWI

Veteran
I have cruds on my t3, stock brakes. No rattling or rubbing. Just takes patience setting them up. Or slight mods. I had to remove the nose piece of the front guard as that was rubbing. And it doesn't splash from there anyway. And the rear guard. I didn't thread it under/behind the calliper like the front/instructions. Instead used two cable ties, one loop around the guard. Another through the caliper and that first loop.

Pretty much exactly what I did with my T3. No rubbing. Perfect.

bigup

ive just ordered me a triban 3 with sks raceblade shorts (pre fitted from dectahlon), after reading up on it, i will be asking for a refund on the shorts and will order some longs

seems the best bet i think!

dimples

Über Member
Sorry to slightly revive a thread that's just under 2 weeks old. What's the best solution for a T3 when on the normal tyres that came with it? I'm in the same position as TC, I want some mudguards for when it starts raining more. I've not had any mudguards on mine since I bought it back in december.

Is it pretty much only the Crud Roadracer Mk2 then?

Sorry to slightly revive a thread that's just under 2 weeks old. What's the best solution for a T3 when on the normal tyres that came with it? I'm in the same position as TC, I want some mudguards for when it starts raining more. I've not had any mudguards on mine since I bought it back in december.

Is it pretty much only the Crud Roadracer Mk2 then?

What size bike are you on? I ask because I have a 54cm frame with next to no clearance, but the clearance on my OH's 60cm frame is much better and the SKS long race blades have been redeveloped this season and would probably work on his frame , but most definitely won't on mine (25c tyres not 23c tyres though I can't see it helping much if I dropped back to 23c tyres).

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-race-bl...m_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&kpid=5360478422

Top Bottom