More positive news

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
It was, but the world has moved on since then, he came out of school, did his apprenticeship, went off to war, came back, got a job with a firm, stayed for only a few months, moved to another & then spent the next 40+ years there. That rarely happens now, in fact Linkedin suggest people will have 10 different jobs before they are 40 & between 12 & 15 in their lifetime. are you expecting them to move each time? We bought our house 35 years ago, I've had multiple jobs since but never felt secure enough in any of them to uproot my family & move.

No, i never said they should either, that would be preposterous for each job. But those that want to move to be closer to their employment, still could...

Also, that study by linkedin doesn't take into account distance to job. It is entirely possible to have 10 jobs within a very reasonable commuting distance in most large towns and cities...

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
What worries me the most is what was mentioned in the article: people will be afraid to use public transport, and so the roads will end up being choked with even more cars than before, making cycling less safe. :sad: Australia will be no different to the UK in this regard, as car use is just as entrenched here.
It’s a worry so both carrots and sticks need to be deployed.

Carrots:
Enhance the existing tax free cycle to work scheme to cover a sensible amount for e-bikes.
Give employers tax advantages for installing and maintaining workplace facilities - showers, lockers, bike parking etc.

Sticks:
Tax employers and employees for on site private car parking spaces.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Will people keep cycling in foul winter weather when the roads are full of careless and aggressive drivers again? It takes a particular kind of hard nut to cycle-commute all year round.
I am, or was, that nutter. Both traffic volume and average speeds rise on the good weather, so any thoughts that you're safer from being wiped out by a car on a nice day are decidedly wrong.

All uphill

Still rolling along
The government will know that many commuters will not want to use mass transit this summer. Some of the commuters may be able to wfh, others not, and are likely to jump in their cars causing huge congestion.

The quickest and cheapest solution is to encourage cycling and walking.

Unfortunately my local county council suffers from Not Invented Here syndrome.
We, in the local campaign group, are keeping up the pressure!

Brandane

Legendary Member
I remember years ago having a lengthy "discussion" on this forum with certain members who used to be regulars on the politics board, but have mostly flounced off now. Hallelujah :laugh:. It was regarding whether or not I "needed" a car to get to work. At the time I was doing agency work, driving HGV's. No fixed routine with regards to hours or even workplace. I was regularly doing 6/7 am starts, 25 miles away from home (at best), and shifts varying from 10 to 15 hour days. A 25 mile each way commute on busy, narrow trunk roads (A760 Haylie Brae if anyone knows it :ohmy:), in the dark and probably wind and rain too as this is the west of Scotland. Not a chance in hell of me risking my life and health on that one.

I think what I'm trying to say is that everyone's circumstances are different. The days of moving house to be closer to work are gone, too. That's thanks to short term contracts, or NO contracts. Jobs for life seem to be a thing of the past, we need to keep upskilling or whatever the feck they call it this week, then moving on when the next lot of redundancies come along. I've had to do it myself several times in recent history, and each reskilling has been expensive. £2000 for a clean but utterly useless HGV class 1 licence, anyone? It allows me the privilege of driving artics for about £11 per hour (less 45 minutes for statutory and compulsory break). Feck that. Especially when they make you do CPC training every 5 years, another £400 down the drain (not including the 5 days loss of earnings for actually attending the courses)..

I now work as a part time handyman at a care home 1 mile from home. In February, in case we've all forgotten, there was hardly a day when there weren't gale force winds and heavy rain. Even for a reasonably keen and weather beaten cyclist, I was sorely tempted to take the car some mornings. Actually, being an honest type, there were mornings when I did take the car.

Mass cycle commuting outside of the big cities? Pie in the sky idea.

D

Deleted member 26715

But there are things that could be done, let's start early & think of the change in the future, there are 2 primary schools in the village (do they even call them primary anymore?) neither of them have an secure facilities for scooters or bikes, neither are accessible safely by scooter or bike. From the age of about 6 I walked myself to school. over a corn field, or the long way round down the road, but it was perfectly safe with no roads to cross. Both schools in the village could have shelters built, all the roads that need to be crossed could have pedestrian crossings.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Most of the population lives and works in the big cities, so let’s start where it is possible to make a change.

D

Deleted member 26715

Most of the population lives and works in the big cities, so let’s start where it is possible to make a change.
That's an interesting statement, do they, I have always envisaged that more people live over 8+ miles from a city centre, be interesting to know which is fact

Slick

Guru
I think it all depends on what your job is, if your a pen pusher well yes, but I was a Blacksmith and after a 10 hour shift the only thing I could do was to stagger down the the car park, if you wanted me to cycle 10-15 miles you would have found me dead on the road with fatigue.
There was the longest time when I did all sorts of hours and was only fit for my bed when they were done, so I get exactly what you mean.

Slick

Guru
That's an interesting statement, do they, I have always envisaged that more people live over 8+ miles from a city centre, be interesting to know which is fact
I did wonder myself if even there would be a difference between north and south.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I guess it depends on how you define cities. My point was that there are millions of people within easy (e-)bike range of work, even if many are not.

Slick

Guru
I remember years ago having a lengthy "discussion" on this forum with certain members who used to be regulars on the politics board, but have mostly flounced off now. Hallelujah :laugh:. It was regarding whether or not I "needed" a car to get to work. At the time I was doing agency work, driving HGV's. No fixed routine with regards to hours or even workplace. I was regularly doing 6/7 am starts, 25 miles away from home (at best), and shifts varying from 10 to 15 hour days. A 25 mile each way commute on busy, narrow trunk roads (A760 Haylie Brae if anyone knows it :ohmy:), in the dark and probably wind and rain too as this is the west of Scotland. Not a chance in hell of me risking my life and health on that one.

I think what I'm trying to say is that everyone's circumstances are different. The days of moving house to be closer to work are gone, too. That's thanks to short term contracts, or NO contracts. Jobs for life seem to be a thing of the past, we need to keep upskilling or whatever the feck they call it this week, then moving on when the next lot of redundancies come along. I've had to do it myself several times in recent history, and each reskilling has been expensive. £2000 for a clean but utterly useless HGV class 1 licence, anyone? It allows me the privilege of driving artics for about £11 per hour (less 45 minutes for statutory and compulsory break). Feck that. Especially when they make you do CPC training every 5 years, another £400 down the drain (not including the 5 days loss of earnings for actually attending the courses)..

I now work as a part time handyman at a care home 1 mile from home. In February, in case we've all forgotten, there was hardly a day when there weren't gale force winds and heavy rain. Even for a reasonably keen and weather beaten cyclist, I was sorely tempted to take the car some mornings. Actually, being an honest type, there were mornings when I did take the car.

I know exactly where you are and cycling the Haylie Brae on a cold and wet January morning are not for me. :eek:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Really?
Scotland's population is approximately 5.5 million.
We have 3 big cities, Glasgow (population 600,000), Edinburgh (500,000) and Aberdeen (210,000).
So from a total of 5.5 million, 1,310,000 live in the 3 largest cities. Over 4 million don't.

Last edited:
Top Bottom